Chapter 5

Blinding lights were what I was greeted to as soon I opened my eyes, muffled sounds coming from the other side of what looked like a hospital room. I had only been to a hospital room like twice before my mom's death. After that, my dad didn't care to bring me here. So I learned to take care of myself when sick or injured, couldn't risk anyone asking questions or calling my dad, who would obviously blame me for telling everyone what he does to me, let's just say I learned the hard way not to tell anyone. After my eyes got used to the bright I tried to sit up, which I immediately regretted because of the pain that came right after.

I grunted in pain and the people who were talking turned their attention to me. Before I could say anything, a pair of hands gently moved me back down. I was then told to stay down if I didn't want to pull a stitch. Pull a stitch? What happened to me. HOLY SHIT. Why am I covered in stitches, I don't think I was beaten up with anything sharp and if I remember correctly most of the stitches were on old injuries.

Mason's POV
I was discussing with the doctor, they had taken Liam off life support earlier this morning the doctor's aid he should wake up anytime from now. I heard a low grunt coming from Liam. He was trying to get up. I gently moved him back down and the doctor, whose name was Dr. Wight, said he stays down if he didn't want to pull a stitch. Then left the room to get his test results.

He seemed confused so I explained to him that most of his old injuries healed properly, so they had to open them and add some stitches.

He kept staring at me. "Wait your Mason from school right?" "Yeah," he visibly started to panic and tried to move further up the bed. "Liam please stop moving, what's wrong?" "I-I was told to stay away from all s-seniors," "why?" why would someone tell him to stay away from seniors? Which is also indirectly telling him to stay away from me! "I don't know, he just came to me during freshman orientation and told me if I didn't want to get hurt I should just stay away." As he said that he tried to keep as much distance from me as possible. If he kept moving he was going to get hurt. "Liam, I promise you I would never hurt you. So please stop moving, your gonna get hurt."

Liam didn't seem too convinced but still quit his movements either way. "W-why d-did you help me?" "Because I wanted to."

Liam's POV

He wanted to? That can't be true no one cares about me. At least that's what dad always said. Oh no, dad. He's going to be furious that I didn't come home. "Wait how long have I been out?" "Three weeks, why?" "I gotta get home," I said as I tried to get off the bed. "No, you can't. I'm not letting you go back to that deranged lunatic," he said as he held down. Lunatic? Is he talking about my dad? How does he know? I must have been looking at him weirdly because he said, "The day after you were admitted to the hospital, you were in critical condition and was recovering from the surgery in your ribcage. When your dad barged into the hospital and demanded that you should be taken off life support, apparently he went looking for you at school and they told him that he should check here. When the doctors saw he was disturbing your healing process he was banned from the hospital." I was shocked, to say the least, he really does want me dead.

Lost in my thought, I didn't know I had started crying until Mason wanted to wipe the tears off my face. But, by nature I flinched when his hand got close to my face. Mason's brows furrowed and he looked hurt at the fact that I had flinched. "I'm not going to hurt you, ok? I need you to trust me." He stated. I wanted to trust him, I wanted someone who really cared, I wanted someone who would stay with me even after they found out my secret. That I was a little. With that in mind and remembering what my mom told me and the promise I had made to her, I decided to trust him.

"Ok, I trust you." He smiled softly the words left my mouth and wiped my tears away. "Thank you for trusting me, baby boy." At that nickname, I felt myself slip into what I had been trying to fight off. I had slipped into little space. "Liam, can you please tell me why your dad indirectly wanted you dead and where is your mom in all of this?" As if on cue the waterworks broke loose. Mason looked worried and guilty, I really didn't mean to make him feel guilty. Now I feel bad and that didn't do anything to help the stream of tears running down my face.

"Liam, I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked." "No, it's not your fault. My mom died in a car accident when I was 11. I was in the car and survived while my mom died. After that he wanted nothing to do with me, he was made to keep me until I was of age. My dad blamed me for her death and started beating me that is why I have all the scars. He also said no one cares about me," I said as I looked down, trying to keep my little voice in. I felt his hand gently pull my chin up to look up at him, "I'm sorry you had to go through that and besides he's wrong, I care about you little one." I could feel myself fill with happiness as I said that as I began gently bouncing in the bed. "You do?" I asked my little voice strong. "Of course I do kitten, I would never lie to you."

I giggled, mom was right he did care and I'm going to get to know him and not push him away.