Chapter 25

TW// MENTIONS OF SELF HARM

Liam's POV

I laid on my back staring at the dark ceiling. Mason was sleeping peacefully beside me. He's gonna get in trouble if they catch him here, visitor are not exactly supposed to sleep in the same bed as a patient. But oh well what can they do?

I wasn't tired, I was asleep for 4 days and my dad's court trial was on Friday that's in four days. I'm very stressed what if they ask a question I can't answer? What if they don't believe me? What if they let him off again? I'll lose this, all of this with Mason. I'll lose him.

Tears began welling up in my eyes, the urge to cut was becoming stronger. I need to let out some relief but Mason took away my forms of relief. He left me with nothing sharp, he says I should just talk to him. If only it was that easy.

I pressed down on the stitches in my right wrist but it want enough. I needed more. I could've just scratched at them to try and reopen them, but I decided on distracting myself instead. I took Mason's phone and played some games, blasting music through his headphones.

This worked for a while until the voices got louder. Found myself hesitantly reaching over to Mason.

'Don't do it. You will just be pestering him, becoming more of a burden.' I stopped, I can't keep living by the voices in my head. I promised Mason I would try to get better. I reached over and gently shook him, "Mason, Mason please wake up. Please."

He didn't wake up, unfortunately for him, an idea slipped into my mind. I took the headphones off and placed them on his head I/Me/Myself by Will Wood playing at the highest volume.

He shot up immediately. The expression on his face made me fall off the bed in laughter. Maybe it was cruel of me but it was funny.

When I was done with my laughing fit Mason looked over the side of the bed, his hair going every which way. I began hysterically laughing again. "Ha ha ha, very funny. I was having a really nice dream you know."

"What? Were you meeting up with prince charming?" I teased.

"Yeah, I was with you."

I stopped laughing heat rising to my cheeks. Mason smirked down at me, he picked me up and laid me on the bed. "You can't just say things like that Mason," I whined trying to cover the blush on my cheeks.

"Well I can and I will. 'Cause, you deserve every compliment and praise I give, and I'm never going to stop."

The blush on my cheeks grew hotter at his words. I'm probably never going to get used to compliments, it's been a while since I got them.

"You know, you blush more when you try to hide your blush it rises to your ears and the tip of your nose," he said booping it. "Now could you please tell me why you woke me up or did you just think it would be funny to wake me at shit o'clock?"

"I just needed to... You said I could always come to with my problems, that you would always help me right?" I asked fiddling with my fingers on my laps. 

"Yes, what's wrong Liam?" He placed his headphones on the table and turned to face me.

"I'm just scared. I'm getting discharged soon and my father's court trial is on Friday what if something goes wrong? What if they send me back to live with him. I can't go back, please."

"Liam, I promised you wouldn't have to go back. I won't let anyone hurt you and as for the court trial all you have to do is answer the questions they ask truthfully and everything will be fine."

"Yeah, I guess. What's the worse that could happen. Anyway, can we talk about something else... While you were asleep I had the urge to-" my voice faded off at the end.

When Mason caught on to what I was implying he pulled me into his lap. "Thank you for waking and telling me Liam. The voices got too loud again?"

"Yeah," I sighed. "Now can we please talk about something else?"

"Okay, how about giving me a list of things you want to do when this is all over?"

"Like what?"

"New things you want to try, hobbies you would like to do? Like I like art."

"That's so cool. So you can draw or do you prefer painting or sculpting?"

"I like painting and drawing. I'm terrible at sculpting. I tried it once and I managed to get clay everywhere but the pottery wheel. So I tried with wood and got too many splinters. And I didn't try using anything else," Mason said.

"Well I used to love watching movies but with everything that has happened to me, I don't think I can go sit in a dark room with lots of random strangers without having an anxiety attack. I used to like gaming? And I want to try playing sports, arts, drama and music I guess."

"Ok, do you want to try all sports and see which ones you like? And I can show you what games I have, see if you still like it."

"That would be nice. I was wondering how did you meet the guys?"

Mason's POV

"How I met the guys... Just as a disclaimer I met most of them through either getting in trouble or violence. I met Mattia in 5th grade. He had just moved here and on his first day we started a fight together."

"What happened?"

"During lunch, Mattia was sitting alone so I went to join him because I'm just nice like that. And there was this racist kid that came to tell us that our people should be shipped back to Mexico in boxes. That all Mexicans were the same, we just come to marry Americans for their money. We taint the soil of America. At first, when he started talking Mattia was going to beat him up but I held him back, but he just kept talking not taking the hint so I joined Mattia in fighting him. Then we got detention for fighting. But it was with it, we made our point clear and I got my best friend."

"Sorry you had to deal with racism."

I hugged him closer to myself, "thanks."

"I met Ajani when I was 12, at the park. He was very small for a 12 year old so I teased him about it. Said he probably couldn't throw a good punch, so he broke my nose."

Liam giggled a little, "so that's why your nose is a little askew."

"No it's not," I said covering my nose with my hand.

"Yeah, and I think one nostril is bigger than the other."

I carefully put Liam on the bed and went to check my nose in the bathroom mirror. "My nose is none of the things you said."

I was met with Liam squirming on the bed with laughter, "I don't believe you actually fell for that. I was messing with you."

"Yeah? Well I don't find it funny, I really like my face and my nose is part of it."

"Sorry my liege, I didn't realize," he said in between laughs.

"You must think you're so funny huh? You must think you're really funny," I said tickling his sides. His laughter filled the room and I silently wished we could stay like this. Not worrying about the court case or the possibility of something going wrong. Just him and I laughing together.