Chapter 3

Mason's POV

"Fuck," I muttered, I was late to a class for the fifth time this week. How is that even possible, I only left for about five minutes. "Shit." I found my self myself sprinting through halls to make it to my Music class. I could get kicked off the football team. 

I was a hall away from my Music class when I saw Derek beating the shit out of someone curled in a ball. It was hard to say who it was from all the blood, normally I wouldn't care about it, I know that makes me sound like a bad person but I found minding my own business kept me out of trouble, but something kept telling me to help the person.

Before I could stop myself I had already knocked Derek over I bent over to the boy on the floor. Worry flooded through my body, It was Liam. I had always seen him being bullied, why would any want to hurt someone like him? He was a little, I could tell because I am a caregiver. I've always wanted him to be his caregiver.

 I picked him up and he whimpered in pain. "Shhh," I cooed. He gave me a weak smile as he began to shut his eyes. I shook him gently and begged him to keep his eyes open. He smiled again as his eyes fluttered shut.

I put him in the car and drove to the emergency room.

Liam's POV

All of a sudden everything stopped. I felt someone lift me and I whimpered in pain. "Shhh," the person cooed and I couldn't help the weak smile that spread on my face as my eyes started to close. I was shaken and I could hear the guy begging me to keep my eyes open. I smiled and tried my best to keep my eyes open. Gosh, why do I have to die when there is finally someone who cares. I can't die knowing I would be causing someone pain. I want to get to know him and now I'm going to die, the world is really cruel. I looked up at him and he looked genuinely worried. 'At least someone cares' was my last thought as my eyes fluttered shut.

Mason's POV

I drove as fast Ias could to the closest hospital trying my best not to break any traffic laws. I wouldn't be able to live if Liam died because I could have stopped them all those times I saw him getting beat up. Offered him food when sat alone in the cafeteria and stared at food like he hadn't eaten in days. 

I'm such a self-centered fool now Liam could lose his life.

I got to the hospital and he was rushed to the emergency room. The doctors didn't permit me to be there so I was asked to wait outside. While I was waiting I got a call from school and even after explaining what happened I still got suspended. At least I would be able to take care of Liam. He just had to wake up.

After an hour of them cleaning his wounds, the doctor came out to inform me that they would be going into surgery. It is Synthes Rib Matrix and it'll help his ribcage heal. Apparently it wasn't broken today and he had multiple fractures that might not heal any time soon. They were going to use titanium plates and screws to hold his ribcage in place while it was healing.

After two hours the surgery was successfully finished. The doctors told him he had several deep cuts which had been stitched, bruises, sprained muscles, a broken right wrist and of course a broken ribcage. The plates that were inserted would be removed if they affected him after the ribcage had healed.  

The doctors finally let me see Liam but I was informed that they weren't expecting him to be awake any time soon.

Liam's POV

I was drifting in darkness, everywhere was dark and quiet. Peace. It's what I've always wanted but why do I feel so unsettled? As if I'm not meant to die now. I was distracted by a scintillating light approaching me. When the figure got closer could make out it was a woman, she looked so familiar but I couldn't lay my finger on it.

 "Mom?"