~Letters~

Harry POV: 

I went back to Hogwarts the following week with Ron and Hermione. Draco and I barely had any time to spend with each other due to the frantic meetings with Professor McGonagall. It has been decided that Draco would spend the remainder of the year doing self-study at the safe house. McGonagall decided that it was best Draco was out of the limelight for a while to disappear effectively. At the moment it has been about three weeks since I last saw Draco. 

Molly and Arthur were also both in the process of moving Draco and Narcissa over to Grimmauld Place. They had been in contact with Sirius and managed to arrange everything. 

Ron and I were still not in a good place after the fight out Draco "Encouraged" me to make amends, his words not mine. To me, his "Encouragement" was more of a lecture followed by a criticizing glare. I knew he was right of course. At least Ron didn't avoid me as he did previously, so there was some improvement in that aspect. 

I was sitting on my bed eating some of the homemade candies Draco had sent me. In the letter attached the small candy bag, Draco told me that Molly had been teaching him some cooking, and even taught him some of her own recipes. The outside of the salted caramels was a deep brown color that suspiciously resembled burning. They weren't the best candies I had ever tasted, but I ate them nonetheless. After all, they were made by Draco. 

There was a persistent tapping sound on the window, and I hurried off the bed to let the Weasley's owl inside. Draco was upset to know that he couldn't use his own owl Altair but made no sense when he was in hiding. He was just as attached to his owl as I was to Hedwig. Pigwidgeon flew sloppily and landed clumsily onto the bedside table; Draco's letter tumbling from his grasp. 

From the floor, I picked up the letter and started to read it. 

Dear Harry, 

I hope you are well and school is going alright. I wish I was there with you right now and I miss you so much. Hermione better be on your case about school work since I'm not there to do it for you. I know exactly how you are with those sorts of things. 

Umbridge hasn't been too much of a pain, has she? It makes me sick being associated with her. I can only imagine how things are like for you now. 

I'm very sorry to hear that occumelency has not been going well, but I am relieved that our system has been working out. I trust that Hermione has been giving your memories back easily and efficiently? Although it still pains me that you can't remember me in those hours, but it is a price to be paid. 

Dreamless sleep hasn't been working either and I am starting to run out of options for your nightmares. Or visions as you like to say. They do scare me, Harry, from the sounds of it they are getting worse. I will continue my research as promised and when I am relocated to Sirius I will have far more resources. It is only a week left. I can't believe that your godfather is my uncle! Does that make dating us dating awkward?

Mrs. Weasley taught me a new recipe which I'm sure you will be pleased to know! With my next letter, I will send you a sample. I think this might be my best one yet. Mother says I have been improving so much, I think she's lying. At least you will be able to try something edible this time. 

I hope the caramels didn't kill you too much! Write soon! I miss you so much (again I know)!

Love, 

Draco

His words made me feel tingly and excited. The thought of seeing him in not too long in the summer delighted me. 

Immediately I went to the desk to start writing a reply. 

Dear Draco, 

The school has been going as well as school can go. You will be pleased to know that Hermione has definitely been on my case about homework. Especially potions. Umbridge has been getting to me, that much is certain. She constantly picks on me and I am honestly getting so sick of it. 

With the occumelency, as I have told you many times, I do not feel like it is worth doing if I have to forget you every lesson. Regardless, I will do as you want, if it makes you feel safer, then so be it. Hermione has been doing excellently, it's only me who has been stubborn. A surprise to no one I should hope. 

I don't want to exhaust yourself trying to help me. You still have your own studies after all. The nightmare/vision don't really bother me. It's not worth the hours that I know you put into it. They aren't as realistic as Hermione tends to make out in her letters. 

Sirius is excited to have you stay! I'm sure he will let you use the library as much as you want. I know how much you like to read. Do it for leisure, not for me. It's funny how things worked out my godfather being your uncle. Of course, it isn't weird! Well, not weirder than whatever you write tattooed onto my skin as well, and also, you know, being soulmates. 

I can't wait to try your new dish! Please, I love your caramels! I think your mother is right!

Love, 

Harry

And I meant it.