4. Ryker

There went our night of having a nice relaxing time with just daddy and I. We were not expecting Altan and the pests to show up and I still do not know why they are even here. Daddy sure as hell is trying his best to not lose his shit on them, and it’s taken a lot. Papa doesn’t know how much he hurt us, me, over the years. 

After daddy set them three up in one room, I went to mine and sat on my bed, thinking of what is going to happen now. Wondering if I have to sleep with one eye open because now I don’t feel safe in my own home and that should never happen. A home’s supposed to be your safe space, not a prison. I got dressed for bed in a pair of my pants and a t-shirt and laid down and grabbed my book from my nightstand and read a little bit, trying to relax my mind before I go to sleep but a soft knock on daddy’s door made me look up and strain my ears so I could hear.

“What Altan? I have to work at four, I’m exhausted and want to go to sleep.” I heard daddy and Altan sighed softly.

“Can we talk, please? The twins are sleeping and Ryker is in bed so I figured now would be a good time to talk alone.” Altan said and daddy, I guess, walked out of his room because I heard footsteps fading down the hall. I got out of bed and opened my door and sat next to it inside my room so I could hear.

“Talk Altan.” 

“I first want to thank you for taking us in like you did. I appreciate it Brent very much. I know things are rocky between you and me…”

“No, you stop right there.” Daddy cut Altan off and he stopped talking.

“Things between you and me aren’t rocky. They are how they are supposed to be because you and I have not been together for sixteen years and that was my choice to leave but you agreed so how we are is exactly how it’s supposed to be. But, how things are with you and Ryker, no that’s not how it’s supposed to be. Do you even understand what he’s been through, what he is going through now? You don’t know because you aren’t here Altan, you are never here! You have a life elsewhere, I understand that, but you aren’t glued to the damn ground. You could have come to see him any time, for a few minutes to a few hours or even weekends, but you didn’t. He went to you and each time was worse than the last. Everyone in that pack except Chase treated my son like he was less than a human being. They did it because of your mates and children. My son would come home and be held up in his room for days, crying his heart out when he thought I didn’t hear because he tried to stay quiet. He was hurting so much and still is Altan. You and them, yes you don’t even give me that look, have treated him like he’s nothing. Your kids learned their behavior from their fathers and you, and you didn’t do a thing to stop it. You let it happen because as you said ‘boys will be boys, they are brother’s’ well Altan no that is not how brothers are supposed to act. Zane and Ryker get along well. They are close, they love one another. If it wasn’t so late and on a Friday, I would tell you to go get your own place, but it’s the weekend so nothing will be open until Monday. I expect you to be out looking for something on Monday morning, with your kids. Ryker will be at school and I will be at work. If for some reason you can’t find anything, I will have Austin move out of the apartment above the cafe and he can move in here and you three can take the apartment. I don’t want you here longer than necessary Altan, not after everything you all have put my son through. Do you understand me?” Daddy said in such an authoritative manner that I even felt his command in his words.

“I understand. I will do everything I can to make it up to Ryker.” Altan said, and I scoffed and so did daddy and I chuckled.

“Yea, good luck with that Altan, good luck with that.” Daddy said, and I heard footsteps and knew they were daddy’s and I saw him walk to his door and he looked over at mine and saw me sitting and smiled at me. I blew him a kiss, and he did the same and went into his room. I love my daddy.