5. Gaelen

"So do people usually run in the park at two in the morning or is it just the random dude that literally ran into me?" I heard Jamie ask when he came into my room and flopped on my bed. 

Jamie is my cousin, he showed up here yesterday afternoon with his bags and told us his parents are going off for six months for work and he didn't want to stay home alone for that long of a time so he asked them if he could come here and well he's here. I love my cousin, he's an amazing fun guy to hang out with. 

"Who besides you is dumb enough to be out in the park this late, anyway?" I teased, and he faked being hurt, and I laughed as he held his chest.

"Some Ryker dude. He and I seem to have some shit in common with our fathers."

"Really? He seemed close to Brent?"

"Don't know man, he said his father showed up on his doorstep after years of not seeing him." 

"Well, whatever drama is going on in his life, I have no part in it. I'm about to pass out, so go to bed. I'll talk to you in the morning. Good night Jamie." 

"Good night Gaelen." We hugged, and he went to his room and I laid down.

Sunday morning was busy. I woke up and took a shower, got dressed, met my family downstairs for a quick breakfast and we went out to explore the city. My parents were walking hand in hand and laughing at stuff they said or looked at, having a good time. I love seeing them so relaxed and enjoying life from time to time. 

The rest of the day was fun and relaxing, just bonding as a family and getting to know the city a little more. We passed the school, and amazed at how big it was, at least four floors that you can see and a few other small buildings around it, big football field and track, fields for many sports and Jamie was happy to see that, he enjoys writing so I'm sure he will have plenty of opportunity to write for the school's paper, if he still wants to that is.

"You ready for tomorrow?" I asked Jamie as we were in my room, relaxing after our long but fun day.

"Yea, maybe I can talk to Ryker again, he seems like he is a nice guy but lost, kinda like you." He said, and I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Dude, I'm not lost. What are you talking about?" 

"Gaelen, you may have been able to fool your parents, but not me. I know you like guys just as you like, gir..." 

"Will you be quiet!" I hushed him by putting my hand over his mouth and he smiled, knowing he just outed me. 

“How the hell did you even-?” I whispered to him.

“Kaylee told me that night. That if anything were to happen between you two, that I should know and to have your back if shit hits the fan.” He shrugged, and I glared at him. I don’t know whether to hug him or smother him. Though I should probably thank Kaylee. At least I have two people who support me. 

The next morning we both got ready for school and, of course, my parents were away on business. Whatever the hell that meant, but that’s what the letter read. 

“Seems like both our parents have that in common.” Jamie rolled his eyes and I snickered. 

“Well, you haven’t lost the over-exaggerated sass you had since we were kids. Are you sure you’re straight?” I teased. 

“Much like you, dear cousin, I do not know what I am. I’m just going with the flow and whoever I fall in love with then so be it. I mean, who cares about gender anymore? I much rather fall for someone over their heart and personality. Remember, you could always love someone, but that doesn’t mean you like them. I can’t live my life not loving and liking someone. If we don’t have chemistry, then what the hell am I with them for? You can be compatible and still be missing the chemistry, there’s a reason I like to emphasize you be friends with someone before you even consider dating them.” He lectured, and I groaned.