27. Ryker

Ryker grilling steaks ^^ there!

I was so happy seeing my mates when they showed up, especially after the loss I had in surgery. It was a young man who had a complication with his liver and I was almost done with the surgery until I had a bleeder and I tried to stop it but it just kept bleeding and we worked on it for over an hour until he just lost too much blood and he died. He was just twenty years old, had his whole life ahead of him but he had liver disease and had a transplant a couple of years ago. He was doing fine until he was in the accident that landed him in the hospital where he needed surgery. The accident was bad, real bad. He had flipped his car four times and a piece of metal went into his side piercing his liver and the EMTs did all they could and got him to the hospital in time but it was his time to go.

After a loss like that I don't like to be around anyone and I stay in my office and have a few drinks and look into the family and I help in any way I can. Be it donating to help pay for the funeral, medical bills, setting up a fund for people to help the family with food, transportation, bills, anything they would need. It's the least I could do and I know it can never be enough because there is no amount of money for a human life but I try. Death is a price that comes with being a doctor and it hurts like hell for me to lose someone because I have worked my whole life to save lives and when I lose someone, it cuts deep and nothing I do will ever change that and when I don't feel it any longer is when it's time to quit.

"Hey Dr. Walker." I could smell him before I even heard his voice and so when Mikael stood at my door, I was on my feet in no time and hugged him.

"It's good to see you. How are you brother?" He asked and I shook my head.

"It's good to see you too and I'm ok. I lost a patient in surgery today so I'm dealing with that. On the plus side my mates are here, for good."

"Oh I'm sorry about your patient man, I can't even imagine how you're feeling but I'm happy your mates are here. I have some news to share with you. I'm going to be a father." He said with the biggest smile on his face and I couldn't help but smile and hug him again.

"Congratulations! May I ask how that's possible?"

"Well Amilia has been on hormones since her surgery and after a few years of trying and the miscarriages, it finally happened. We don't know for sure who the bio dad is but we could care less. We're just happy we are finally having a baby. Both mom and baby are doing well. She's almost four months along. She didn't want to tell anyone in case something happened like before but she's due in a couple of weeks so it's safe to tell people. It's a little boy and we were thinking of naming him after you and Brent. Preston Lee."

"Are you serious? Amilia and Garrett are ok with that?"

"Of course. She loves you so much Ry and you and I are like brothers so Garrett said he didn't mind, he loves us and wants us happy so yea, what do you think?"

"I think you're absolutely insane to name a kid after me but I'm proud you want to. Thank you, this means so much to me." I was truly touched by this amazing gesture that I forgot all about what happened earlier.

"Are they both here with you? You could come to the house for dinner to celebrate. I'd love it if you did."

"No but it's easy to go get them. What time should we be there?"

"A couple of hours. I still have paperwork to finish and gotta tell Gaelen and Dallas to expect you three for dinner."

"You should know Altan came with Ethan and Kody. I don't know where they are but I thought you should know. I can tell them to stay home or go somewhere else if they don't want to go home, that way they don't bother you."