*Chapter 1*

"Hey Hey Kazuha! Wake up!" I shook the boy repeatedly trying to wake him up. It's been 2 years since I've known him and we've become great friends, best friends even.  At the age of 10, Kazuha would bring me out to the main islands and show me around. Usually, we would find a small stand to buy snacks or a pond where we'd catch frogs. 

Father would often bring me over the the Kaedehara residence per my request, he seemed relieved to have me out of the house. At one point he let me travel there by myself because he was tired of taking me each time. It didn't matter to me though. I've memorized the route and could probably make it with my eyes closed. 

With a groan he sat up from the rock he's been napping on and gave me a flick on the forehead. "I'm awake geeze, where are your manners don't you know it's rude to wake a sleeping man?" He said as he rubbed his eyes. 

"Well I'd hardly call you a man Kazuha," I let out a giggle "Didn't you cry over a bunch of random books when you accidentally dropped them in water the other day? I stood up and reached out a hand to him.

"Hey Hey Hey!" He defended himself "Those weren't just books those were the best romance novels I've ever read." He argues before pulling me down with him. "The weather's lovely today, you should take a nap too."

With that Kazuha wrapped his arms around me to make sure I wouldn't leave and I buried my face into his chest to hide my flustered face. However, I came back to my senses and told myself that foxes mattered more than a man.  

"No way!" I said pulling the both of us up, "I wouldn't waste the daylight napping, I want to go see the foxes." Now that we were both standing it was clear that I was a little taller than Kazuha was. He didn't seem to like that very much and proceeded to stand on the rock he was sleeping on. I giggled "Stop being such a baby, maybe if you attended combat training with me we'd be the same height."

"I doubt that's the reason..." He mumbled as he stepped down beside me. "Whatever, let's go see the foxes."

"Okay okay, coming~" I said gleefully following behind him with a smile on my face. For a moment when I looked up at him I could see the red tints on his cheeks. 

"Alright we're here." Kazuha stated as he knelt down to get a better look at the foxes. I copied his pose and we both looked at the foxes play with each other from a distance. 

"Do you think they'd like fish?" I asked him

"Fish?"

"Yea! I saw one of them take a koi fish out of the pond the other day."

"The koi pond?! Are you insane? Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"Cause the fox looked happy."

"You're a pain to handle." Kazuha flicked me on the forehead again, causing me to fall over. 

"Rude that's no way to treat a lady!" 

"Well start acting like a lady then."

"I don't need to do anything to 'act' like a lady, I'm beautiful and kind and people love me. Besides what's makes you a lady anyways? I'd rather inhale a tree." 

"Inhale a tree?" Kazuha raised an eyebrow at me.

"Mother said trees help you breathe better."

"I don't think that's what she meant..."

By the time Kazuha and I had finished talking it was already dark out. We hurried our way back to Kazuha's residence praying we wouldn't get a scolding from Ms.Kaedehara. 

"If we hurry back and pretend we were in the garden then mom won't be angry right?" Kazuha said while running after me. Between the two of us I was the more agile and faster one since I had  experience sneaking out at midnight to play with the cats at the restaurants. 

Despite our efforts we were greeted by two very angry mothers and a good scolding. I never liked receiving punishment and always tried to get out of them, but when Kazuha offered to lift my responsibilities for me I had to hold my ground and say I could handle it. Which was what resulted in my training 2 hours past my usual martial arts classes. 

I was exhausted to say the least but it was the consequence of sneaking out. I sighed as a collapsed into my bed and drifted to sleep as soon as I hit the pillows. 

Fun Fact:

Kazuha would often write poetry for Y/N and would practice in front of the foxes before reciting it to her.