Part-20

With the group, they had left the village in silence as they all had what they needed. Kakashi and Naruto who was in his Kitsune flash uniform were ahead while Sakura and Tsuki brought up the rear. The tension was in the air as they travelled. "How the hell did the attack succeed when Suna was expecting it?" Naruto snapped "Gaara informed me that Suna took yours and Jiraiya-sama's warnings seriously Naruto!" Kakashi said.

 "Let's calm down Naruto, we don't know who is in the organization or who we'll be running into! We can face the measly two members or the whole flock! We can't be careless here!" Kakashi warned.

"Look, it's Temari up ahead!". Indeed, Temari was seen walking outside their path but she turned around once she heard her name being called out. She then saw who it was and stopped in her tracks. "Hm? What is it, what's wrong?". She easily turned her glance to Kakashi and Naruto, mostly the latter but the former explained the situation. "Gaara has been kidnapped by the Akatsuki! We're headed to Suna now to get the mission details!". "W-Wha.....Gaara has been-". "Yeah.....they got him. Dwell on it on the way, Temari but we need to get moving now" Naruto said calmly. "Y-Yeah, you're right. Let's move out!". The team nodded before jumping off with Temari in tow, heading for the Suna.

They travelled as fast as they could, and when the night arrived, they didn't take a rest. Lack of sight wasn't a problem, for their path was illuminated by the moonlight.

"Naruto....."

Naruto turned his head back slightly, to show that he was listening. "What is it, Sakura?"

"What would happen to Gaara, if his bijuu were to be removed?"

Naruto's expression went from neutral to grave and Tsuki had a bad feeling about what he was going to say. "We have to be realistic here, Sakura. We have to assume the worst-case scenario, which in this mission is, that Gaara will have his bijuu removed. In fact, they've already begun the process by now, most probably."

Sakura gasped, and Tsuki looked even more crestfallen. "Our bijuu were sealed into us from birth, as is the case with most of our kind. There are exceptions, but I'll not go into details about that. Our bodies and chakra have been adjusting right from the beginning, to sustain both of us. Removal of a bijuu would destroy the chakra network completely. It's like ripping our hearts out of our bodies. The result of that is, most certainly, death. Almost immediately."

Temari was now gripped by fear, imagining Gaara's lifeless body in front of her.

"Almost immediately?!"

Sakura's exclamation knocked her out of her musings, as she concentrated on Naruto's answer. "There are exceptions, of course." That raised Temari's hopes a little. "Kyuubi's first jinchuriki, Uzumaki Mito, lived for three more years before dying in her sleep. She was a hundred and thirteen when the new jinchuriki was chosen."

Kakashi spoke up for the first time. "Not surprising, considering the Uzumaki clan is well known for their longevity and potent life force."

"So if Naruto were in Gaara's place, would he..."

Tsuki dare not finish the sentence. Surprisingly, Naruto smirked. "As if I would allow myself to be in that situation." Then his face turned sombre, "On the off chance, if I do get in that situation....I'm not sure whether I would survive or not."

"But you are Uzumaki!"

"I'm half-Uzumaki. There is a world of difference in that."

"One more day before we reach the desert," Temari said quietly.

"But I don't recall telling you about my secret, Sakura," Naruto curiously inquired.

Sakura swallowed before answering. "Tsunade-sama told me about your confrontation with Uchiha Itachi and Hoshigaki Kisame. They're both involved with Akatsuki....but why are they taking the bijuu?"