1

Three months prior...

Escape. Oh what a word. Oh, what a glorious thought. At that moment nothing would have been more wonderful to me than to escape but I couldn't. I was stuck. Trapped.

"Honey are you even paying attention?"

Irritation rang out in her words, but she had managed to interrupt the mini panic attack that had begun to grip me. So how could I complain?

I looked up at her however and couldn't find it in me to resist the stereotypical teenage antics.

A deep, defiant sigh left my lips, and I spoke, "Rob's out. You're getting remarried. I'm being shipped off to boarding school. Yes, I think I got it mom."

She and I looked at each other and I suppose an understanding was silently established right then: If we pretend to understand each other than yes... We can both feel free to act as though there is still unrestricted love between us. We can both pretend to be on the same side, a team...  a family.

Quickly as my defiance came, it left and I stood to bring us gave to face,

"I'm sorry, I get that dad dieing hurt us both and that ... You're just trying find a way to get past this. I know you lost him too. But mom, I don't want to go to boarding school. I just, I don't want to say goodbye to all my friends. I just don't mom."

Silence. For a long time she just analysed my face and there was silence.

"Are you sure?" She finally said and a certain look I didn't recognise crossed her features but it left so quickly it could have been an imaging,

"You hated Rob when we were together. And I don't want you to feel like... Like I'm trying to find you a new father or-,"

"I won't." I quickly interrupted and smiled sweetly to reassure her, "I promise."

She looked skeptical but, "okay..." A small nod and then a more resolute, "okey."

Looking back at this now... I really wish I had known exactly what my mother was marrying into before I declined the opportunity to have no part in it. I wish I could have foreseen him. Gabriel. The author to some of my deepest suffering. The face of evil. And my everything.

I guess it's too late now to change anything and there isn't any use crying over spilt milk so...

Here is my story....

Present day

"Orion?" He says to me, hand outstretched, expression neutral. I took his hand and shook it,

"Rian," I corrected, I seriously hated that name "you must be-,"

"Gabriel. It's cool to meet you." He let go of me with a kind of sing song laugh, "I guess you're my little sister now?"

I smiled at this. He actually had a nice laugh. Very unrestricted and happy, "ya I guess."

Gabriel's father and my mother were watching us none to subtly a few feet away. I felt uncomfortable and awkward. However, Gabriel appeared oblivious and fairly unaffected. Interested even. Interested in me that is.

"Can I tell you a secret," he stage whispered to me. He leant in to me fractionally, his features were open and warm. If there was anything I could say about him it's that, from the very first instance Gabriel Capistrano captured my attention completely, "I've always wanted a little sister."

I didn't know what to say to that honestly. It's not as though I could recepercate,

"cool. I guess... I'll see ya around." I moved around him and headed for my room.

"Orion hunny," my mother said before I could even get very far, "could you show Gabriel to his room? It's right across from yours."

"Sure," I said turning back to them before I went upstairs. Gabriel's foot steps following. I stiffly pointed to the door across from mine and disappeared into my own room.

I unintentionally slammed the door in closing and leant against it for support. I took my first real breath since entering the racially diverse family scene from hell. It took me a moment to collect myself and stand straight.

Don't get me wrong, I see no problem in my mom marrying a white guy. I guess he seems like a nice enough dude, it's just the picture perfect-ness of the scene I had entered moments ago was... Jarring.

My mom's new husband was a tall, thin, middle aged Spanish man who happen to look scarily similar to a skeleton with skin. He had this kind of timelessness to his face although he had wrinkles. Almost as though he had just always had that face and would always have that face.

He had blue eyes and a respectable amount of hair still on his head. And a fair amount of good looks that just mostly went to making him look kind... And warm. Yep, that was Juan Capistrano.

My mom looked even younger beside him even though they were likely pretty close to the same age. She seemed small and dependent ... And happy. I suppose that was the newlywed Carly Capistrano.

Gabriel was tall like his father but was built more lean and appeared athletic. His hair was blatantly dyed blond with the roots an almond brown. His eyes were blue. Very handsome guy but there was something in the way he carried himself that was definitely not kind.

Far from it actually on first impression he seems mildly charming and strange but that will develop into ...off. yes, something  will seem deeply off about him. Something in the way he looks at people.

But upon first impression, it just adds to his particulure brand of charm.

And then there is me. Me who chose this day to come home late from the library. So that I could conveniently walk in to what appeared to be the end of a happy family dinner. Me and my extraordinary awkwardness to help me feel thoroughly excluded.

Needless to say, I just wanted to bury myself in bed and forget about the whole experience.