18

"stop that."

I jumped at the sudden intruder and the slam of a locker near me. I turned to the source of both. I found Rodney.

"Don't you look at me like I have some fucking nerve because technically I shouldn't be talking to you since you were an ass yesterday."

I remembered shoving him and snapping at him and only felt a little bad. Rodney can be annoying. I looked away from him though and to the ground and dispite myself added it to the long list of mistakes I'd been making lately.

Didn't help that I was looking down the barrel of summer school, "hey!"

I quickly lifted my head and looked at Rodney, "didn't I just tell you to stop. Love you have the type of face that is just beautiful when you smile.

My dream girl can not be walking around looking like... this."

"Rodney I'm really-" I was interrupted.

"Smile. And if you can't do it then tell about it, even just a little piece love. I like to see my girl looking beautiful."

I didn't even try to correct him this time about my not being his anything. I just tried for a smile if not for anything then but how sweet I thought he was being. Especially in Rodney standards.

But I sighed instead, "I think I'm about to fail Spanish."

Both his thick dark brows rose and with a slow smile he said, "well luckily for you that is very easily fixed all you have to do is-"

I interrupted, "yes I know don't fail the test."

Ms Rodriguez had already informed me that if I could get good enough marks on a test that happened to make up thirty percent of the grade average I could pass. The problem was I just knew I wouldn't pass.

My very monolingual self would barely pass on a normal day, a normal test. Not one set by miss Rodriguez and definitely not while my attentions loved to shift and be restless.

Rodney interrupted my thoughts by saying, "give me your phone."

I looked at him in question and quietly said, "huh."

He lightly shook his head and said under his breath, "you're lucky you're cute."

"I heard that you know. Your inside voice is everybody else's outside voice."

"Just," he rolled his eyes and outstretched his hand impatiently, "give me your phone already."

I took it from my pocket and handed it to him. He snatched it and said, "what I am about to give you now is the Holy grail of study material."

He looked up from my phone then and found my eyes, "so study it. I'm serious Journey I'm not here to help a lost case."

The look in his eyes expressed what exactly he was warning me. He didn't want to be let down, "but if you do study it, I promise." He paused slightly to bite his lip, I guess to tell me that Rodney was about to become Rodney real quick.

Or maybe because he just couldn't help himself, not flirting was against his genetic coding, "I promise you you will pass."

"Thank you Rodney."

"Sure thing love."

And he was gone. Perfect timing I guess because the bell went off and it was time to get to class. Speak of the devil Spanish was my destination.

I sat up front as biology was the only class in which I felt the need to hide From any form of direct gaze.

Ms Rodriguez spoke fluently and quickly giving us instructions in the language of teaching.

|§|

I had friends. They were stupid and loud and they made me feel young. I mean I'm seventeen but I am far beyond my years.

I sat with them at lunch. There were five of them in total and I was the sixth and most recent. There was Johnathan who was tall and lean and dark skinned.

He played in the school basketball team and was the prodigy antisocial extrovert. Grace: blue eyed and bespectacled.

I think she matched this group least of all. Even now as we spoke, as I talked shit about Garfield who hit on anything In a skirt. And Susan held on to Jon and spoke to him animatedly. Grace quietly faded in the background. Almost lost in her own world.

Ron was doing his utmost to keep her here though.

Susan disrupted the flow of conversation ironically.

She said, "so Journey. You and Rodney."

That's all it took and the table was quiet. I sighed, "we are just friends."

"Well-" I was quick to interrupt.

"Don't."

I gave her a warning look wanting to dead the subject. Jon jumped in, "so."

Everyone enthusiastically turned to him. Everyone understood that Susan otherwise referred to as Sue just didn't like me.

Not one person was willing to investigate, "my parents are out for the weekend. Party?"

The guys were in with immediate effect.

Ron spoke, "I got the drinks covered. I know a guy who can hook us up."

Garfield chimed in after putting his phone down, "the word is spread so you better have a lot of boos."

Grace tilted her head and spoke, "wow you guys move fast. I could almost think you two had been waiting for an opportunity like this with how quickly."

They just smirked at each other shrugging. Jon just sighed, "be this organised when its time to clean up the mess made by the people you invited."

He pointed a curly fry towards Garfield, "people fueled by the alcohol you brought to my house without even even really asking me first."

"Oh come on Jon what's a party with no boos."

Jon rolled his eyes at Ron completely unsurprised. Susan spoke, "you know what? Journey, Grace and I will come to your house early and get all the important stuff out of harms way and as for after I happen to know a cleaning company. Everything will be fine babe."

She kissed his cheek and he seemed appeased, "yeeeesss. It's official. Party at Jon's place."

The bell For lunch end went off and we all stood up. Great, a party. What could go wrong?