3

"I don't get it. What's the problem?"

"The problem is... I don't understand him at all. Why the heck is he doing all this? Making me breakfast, lunch and dinner. Reading all the books I read. L-Listening? He keeps saying that he's just being my big brother but... I just don't understand why he's doing so much and I don't like what I don't understand."

"Girl he is a gentleman by the sound of it. Not some psycho or a douchebag who just wants to get in your pants. Shoot if my blood related, waste of space brother put in this much effort to get to know me-,"

"You'd be creeped out and question everything he does."

There was silence on the other end of the phone call Stephie and I were having, "well that's because it's Rodney and something has to be up. Something is always up with Rodney. Don't project that onto your whole snack of a brother."

I smiled a little at the discription at the end, "Stephie, ew, that's my brother."

"You haven't been related that long."

"Stephie!" She didn't respond at all to this and the silence made it so I could basically feel her making a "really" face on the other end of the line, "fine."

I rolled my eyes and begrudgingly admitted, "he's pretty cute."

"Ya he is. But that's besides the point. Is he sketchy?"

"Well," I was quickly interrupted.

"Has he done anything to justify your suspicion? Is he fricken kind and thoughtful and sweet?"

A quiet sigh was all I could supply to all of this because yes she was right he was all of this. He did do all of this but she never saw the way he did it. And I couldn't explain it to her.

Like how a sexist would open the door for woman just to be sexist. My brother's kindness felt like an underhanded message I couldn't read. And I didn't always like it.

"Look I know it sucks that your mom got married and so soon after- but you could do worse than an actually not piece of shit stepdad and a stepbrother who has been wanting to meet someone like you and liked you before he even met you.

"Just because your his sister. There are worse things you know. Not to play down your struggle or suspicions but have you ever thought maybe he's being so strangely nice because he really wants you to want him as a brother too?"

"I like her. Listen to her."

I sat up in my bed with a start. My phone fell in the surprised movement and I picked it up looking at Gabriel who was lent on my door with wet hair and a smirk.

"Ya maybe, imma have to call you back Stephie."

"Oh okay b-," I hung up and placed the phone on the nightstand.

"Where you spying on me?"

"You speak loudly, the walls are thin and I could be eaves dropping but instead I'm here to discuss how you think I'm pretty cute."

"You were spying you bastard!"

I couldn't help the blush that came but was hidden by my completion, the jittery feeling in my gut at seeing him standing there or the absolute mortification that over came me. But I hid it well.

"Oh, get over yourself, please. It's beginning to get annoying. Can't you find something better to do than to once again invade a person's privacy in the name of curiosity."

I stormed over to him and bslammed the door in his dumb, smug face. The effect was almost immediately therapeutic. I was walking back to bed when a knock came to the door. I rolled my eyes but went back and opened.

"Wha-," his fingers were around my neck in no time. My body was slammed against the wall with slight force. It wasn't lack of oxygen that silenced me, his grip wasn't choking at all, just firm.

It was shock that made me quiet as a mouse and that halted my breath. He leaned his face close to mine. His expression was one of sepressed anger.

His voice held it too, "don't be rude."

Our noses were almost touching but still he came impossibly closer. I pushed further into the wall in an attempt to get away. I suppose he noticed how scared he was making me, because he seemed to remember himself.

A sigh left him, the breath scattering across the side of my face. I shivered and did not understand myself. My mind was everywhere. Nowhere at all. His grip slackened and his hand lazily slid from my neck.

Down my body, until it lazily landed on my waist his thumb rubbed circles on the fabric. His eyes always on mine, looking for reactions.

"Why did you have to do that?" He seemed to be genuinely asking, "I don't like... To be disrespected." He says.

He looked at me expectantly so I nodded my head, "breath Orian."

And I let go of the breathe I had been holding for what felt like forever. This resulted in several deep breaths and still his eyes would not leave mine, "it'll be okay." He says to me softly.

He was too close, I put my hand between our nearly touching bodies. Against his stomach and pushed lightly. I was still watching his face, his eyes closed suddenly instead of him moving away.

He put this head in my neck and inhaled, making me gasp. My mind was still missing with the way I couldn't think. Couldn't remember where I was or who.

I couldn't understand anything that was happening at all. We just stood there, my on hand on his body and his one hand on mine. His face burried in the crook of my neck breathing deeply.

After what felt like a forever that ended too soon he stepped back and looked at my face and seemed to recognise the look he must have seen on it, "you should be."

He nodded to himself as though agreeing with his words, a look I didn't know crossed his features, "scared. Be scared Orian."

And he left.