11

The continuous tapping on my ankle woke me. I looked across with squinted eyes and found Mr Capistrano.

He spoke, "I'll hold the fort."

I looked down at my mom. She wasn't really good at sleeping alone. I could tell it was one of the hardest things for her since dad.

She slept peacefully. I looked up at her new husband, "you scared her."

A small patient smile came to his face but he didn't respond. I looked down at my mom once more before I moved off the bed. He quickly replaced me. The last thing I saw before leaving was his soft whispering to the ear of her peaceful face.

The halls leading to my room were dark and quiet and somehow I equated that to loneliness. I stopped and sighed, "I need a break from this freaking place."

I got to the door of my room and stared at it for a long time. Maybe this one time I hadn't gone to my mom's bed with the purest of intentions. Maybe I knew whose bed I'd choose if not her's. I didn't even bother to pretend to have a moment of indecision. I just took the few steps I needed to get to his door and I knocked.

I had to laugh when the door to my room opened and he literally carried me in over his shoulder, "I thought you were planning to stand there forever."

"Biiiiiitttttcccchhhhh!!!!" Stephie's voice carried over to me and I laughed a little and closed my locker. She was running to me when I turned.

We hugged and I squeezed her extra tight, "are you okay?" I laughed lightly. I'd really missed her.

"Ya I'm fine."

"I tried calling but to be honest I didn't really think you'd answer. It was more so I could say I'd done so and guilt trip you cause it's really shitty to let your best friend worry and not even bother to let her know you're okay."

"Right sorry... I got kinda caught up, it's been a hectic couple of days."

She hooked our two arms together, "sounds like tea to me bestie."

So I told her everything that happened.

"You's a dumb bitch."

"Stephie!"

"No, you dumb bitch! You do realise he caused all of your problems right? All of the problems you're using him to escape from."

It was first period and we were in the back of Our biology class whisper yelling back and forth. I sighed to myself and whispered, "I am not... Using him."

"You're also a seventeen year old virgin who's never really been liked by anyone. A lot of this is that too and I think you know this isn't how relationships should be but I didn't really want to say that and be a bitch."

She must've seen how low that blow was by the look on my face because she quickly added, "look. If I were faced with a crazy hot, mysterious psychopath stepbrother who was obsessed with me I'd probably also go for a taste.

"You know the crazies give the best head."

"Okay I'm done with this conversation-"

"But he can't love you," she quickly interrupted. Yet, as easily as she cut me off, her face and her voice were serious, "hunny you don't have a clue what love is and you're being manipulated. Also he is your brother, you are his sister. Act like it sis."

She started packing her things and the bell followed her lead.

Just as well, I didn't want to be angry with her too. And I was angry with her. At first. Than I redirected that anger to myself. I was also embarrassed.

Because how untrue could Stephie's words really be? I could definitely find fault in the way she chose to say them, but were they lies?

I was embarrassed at how pathetic I must seem falling over someone who... only wants to see me hurt and then pretending to believe he wouldn't do it if he could only see what he was hurting.

And I was embarrassed at having to put one of my only friends in a position to have to tell me so. Angry and embarrassed that to me the pain he caused me was as real as the comfort. All of it was real to me.

So by the time our lunch break rolled around, I'd conveniently remembered that I hadn't gotten my biology notes from Mr Zainey and decided to skip out on lunch with Stephie.

I knocked once on his door before I entered and man did I regret it. He didn't even notice my entry and neither did Journey.

"I can't... Stay away from you," Mr Zainey said to her. I guess you could say they were in a lover's embrace. It was obvious they'd just broken from a very intense kiss. They were both breathless and panting. Holding each other as though they thought one might disappear at any moment.

The pure shock of what I was witnessing froze me though I knew I should run. My mind screamed for me to do as much when his lips latched onto her neck. She almost instantly moaned softly and held on more tightly.

Her fingers were working at the buttons of his shirt and I. Was. Frozen. Then our eyes met. Her turn to freeze I guess.

"Sorry," I said and closed the door. The mental face palm wouldn't come until later for that one but trust me I know the cringe Of that should be recorded in the books as a record.

But at the moment I went from numbly walking down the hall to full on sprinting. I don't know why I thought either of them would come after me. Probably because Mr Zainey would lose his job if I spilled... Whatever kind of tea that was. Cuz girl it ain't Lipton.

I wouldn't of course. I had enough drama in my life without having to make court dates. At this point school was getting to be just as exhausting as home had been. Why did I even bother to get out of bed this morning...