26

"Father," I said once I entered his study. He appeared to be as in the mood for conversation as I was, I sat down.

"She's gone," he said as he removed his reading glasses.

"At a friend's," was my response to this.

Father nodded his head, "could you hold off on retrieving her."

We made eye contact and I could have smiled and what I saw in his face if I wasn't in such a bad mood. Chaos became a third living thing in this room, it felt more and more solid as the seconds passed.

I stood and left the room, needing no further explanation and knowing I wouldn't get any.

I said, "yes father," as I left to get dressed.

|§|

I looked after my brother as he left until he disappeared, seemingly not having noticed me. When he'd fully disappeared, I turned to Rian.

She didn't seem much changed at all though she was absent mindedly playing with her chocker now.

"You know my brother?" She tilted her head and shrugged lightly.

She said, "I suppose I do."

We ate quietly after that and I realised a growing sense of dread was rising in me as we did so. I had so many questions and simultaneously wanted to tell her to leave.

I chose to keep quiet and waited for Journey to come back. If he didn't this might be the first time in recorded history he's ever let something get in the way of food.

Through all this a small part of me found relief in focusing on someone else's problem, I began to recognise the feeling as we both finished off eating and began to clear up.

The door bell rang and Journey's door opened and closed, the footfalls of his socked feet jogged across the house to answer it.

Both of us where still and listening, "oh thank goodness. I thought you'd never come."

I turned to look at Rian when a responding voice said, "how long has she been here?"

"I don't even know."

I saw no reaction. I went and took the dishes she was holding as it seemed she'd forgotten she was even holding them and I didn't want her to drop them.

They came into the kitchen as I put everything in the sink. By the time I turned a tall, pale man was standing over Rian.

Her eyes were on his chest in an unfocused sorted of way. He spoke, "what are you doing here little one?"

Her shoulders went slack and her voice was small, "I don't know."

I turned to Journey who was standing in the doorway with his arms crossed. He looked like he was watching a puppy being kicked to death.

The pale guy gave a sigh and spoke, "you need to come with me."

"No," she intoned her voice in a begging command that broke my heart, "I'm so tired... I can't."

The pale man didn't appear to be touched, not in the traditional sense but he seemed to relate to her words deeply.

With the way he looked at her I could easily believe that they became a memory of his own. The scene was haunting. Deeply unsettling.

After a few seconds he said, "do you want him to come here?"

Heavy silence followed for a long time while I contemplated "him", who was she running from? What was I missing that seemed to have everyone on edge?

"No," same intonation, same plea and same command, but so many meanings.

Unexpectedly she turned to me and we made eye contact, I wanted to walk up and hug right then.

She said, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked you to take me."

I just nodded my head at this, not really knowing what else to say or do. Then together they walked out and I wondered vaguely if I should stop them.

|§|

I felt terrified. So deeply terrified as we drove. I had no clue what I was thinking when I'd left and no clue what I would do when he dropped me home.

I wanted to panic and cry but I sat there frozen in anticipation for what was sure to come. How could I have been so stupid?

I wasn't paying attention to anything but the anticipation and the regret. So when the car stopped and we were at the training studio, the relief was disorienting.

I didn't have to face him, not yet. Serious got out of the car and once I remembered where my feet were I followed suite.

Once we came in he immediately removed his jacket and I went to the changing rooms almost on instinct. I didn't know why we here or what would happen next but I forced myself to be presently here.

I forced the fear - no the dread - away from me and tried not think about Gabriel or what was going to happen to me.

We stepped up onto the floor and Serious said, "Mmmm, I think - I think today is a good day for swords."

His smile came to his face so naturally, like programming. No matter the situation his response was always a smile. Mostly it was a terrifying thing but not today.

At least not to me, "Katanas sound good I think."

He went to a corner of the room and came back with them. They were so beautiful and cool.

He tossed one to and I registered the new weight in my hands.

The texture of the handle in my grip as I pulled and steal was revealed from within the sheath.

I could see my eyes reflected in the steal and I hoped I would get to do this again under different circumstances.

My thoughts were interrupted when Serious said, "if you cut yourself it'll be my head so concentrate."

I took a deep breath and unsheathed the sword, gingerly I twisted my wrist. The Katana did a perfect 360 at my side and I felt completely present.

Serious' smile deepened into a full on grin, dark and empty and I felt kinship and gratitude.