2

I think I woke up about an hour ago, but my eyes were still closed. What can I say? Sleep didn't wipe away the mortification as I wished it would.

I. Can't. Believe. I. Did. That. I walked in on my mom having a family moment with her new husband and his kid. Being all cosy. Having dinner... And laughing. I mean I know I said I didn't want a new dad and I don't but...

Somehow I didn't think me wanting that would be a deal breaker for my mom. Somehow, I thought... both of us were still stuck in the past. In a place were my dad was still alive. But now it's starting to feel like she moved on and it's just me.

My thoughts were interrupted by my bedroom door opening, I froze feigning sleep. Who could be in my room? My ears strained to hear as the intruder's foot steps quietly came towards me and pause at my bed.

Even with my eyes closed I could feel their shadow and I felt fingers on my forehead brushing away the fabric of my head wrap. The fingers were warm and gentle but definitely not my mom's so I still freaked.

"I didn't think black people really slept like this." at the deep baritone of their voice, I immediately recognised my intruder.

Gabriel, "it's cute."

I suppose he was referring to my headwear.

He was laughing at me.

I opened my eyes, annoyed, "so you had to violate someone's privacy just to find out?"

His fingers were still on my forehead, just playing with the skin there but he removed them once I looked at him. Admittedly the removal was slow in coming but he was staring pretty hard so I imagine he was distracted.

We stayed like that for a bit, "our parents are gone."

I sat up stretching my arms before facing him, slouched and tired, "so."

"So... Get up. I'm bored," he said as he straightened and went for the door. The handle of which he grabbed before turning to me, "and breakfast is getting cold." Then he was gone.

I stared at the door for a bit after he shut it, "okay so that was weird. It's not just me right? Thinking that it's not normal what he just did."

Yet, I still got out of bed and put on my gown. I still washed my face and brushed my teeth in a small hurry and came downstairs.

I could smell eggs and bacon while coming down the stairs. He was seated at the dining table before a single untouched plate carrying the suspected meal.

His head was downcast in a creepy meditative sort of way and I intentionally made a sound to make him look up. He obliged.

A smile came to his lips and he said, "I was starting to think you wouldn't come."

I stopped a ways before the table and shrugged, "I was freshening up and besides...," How do I say this? I kind of didn't even want to considering he was trying to be nice and he didn't have to.

I said it anyways, still standing away from the table, "maybe I shouldn't have come anyways. Eggs and bacon isn't really my style."

"Ya your mom told me as much." He stood from the table and went into the kitchen. I could hear him opening first the fridge then a cabinet, then a drawer. Some dishes moving and lightly colliding before again he reemerged.

I can't tell you why I was so focused on everything he did and how he did anything. It took a long time to figure it out myself but then I'd never met someone who scared me so much as he had. Someone who drew me in so completely.

I looked down at the bowl of mixed nuts and fruits on a tray along with a spoon, some yoghurt and orange juice in his hands. He placed them on the seating across from his own before he came towards me.

He moved casually but I still had to remind myself not to back up. ' you're being rediculous.' I thought to myself, ' he's just trying to be nice.'

But then even in my greenness I knew, no one who wants to be nice to you looks at you like that. He took my hand and led me to the table.

"I thought maybe we could get to know each other."

He sat across from me smiling so I tried for a smile too but its legs were too shakey and it fell, "oh?"

More smiling, "tell me about yourself Rian."

"There's nothing to tell. I'm 17 years old, I go to Oaksveiw and," I gestured to my plate, "I'm an unofficial vegetarian.

"I have no favourite colour or food. I live alone with my mom- or I did. I love to read."

He seemed to listen intently as I spoke, as though everything I said carried weight and gravity and pulled his attention to me. 

I started eating my meal to avoid looking at him. He followed suite as though he just remembered his own meal.

"Tell me about you," I said to keep the conversation going.

"I'm 19 years old. I don't go to school. I'm taking a gap year to work in my dad's business. I play music more than I have conversations and I don't have many friends. I live with my dad, my new sister and her mom. I've always wanted siblings and a big family because I like to be alone often but sometimes I get lonely."

He stuffed a big piece of bacon in his mouth and I laughed at his antics, "I like meat. A lot."

Again I laughed and said, "thats fine. What type of business does your dad own?"

He shrugged lightly, "he runs a shipping company but we do everything really."

We are in silence for a while after that. I looked up now and then and his eyes were always on me every time.

"Gabriel." I finally said when I could no longer take it.

"Yes."

"Please stop staring at me, you're making me uncomfortable."

He hadn't stopped since we sat down and he didn't stop even after I complained. He just looked down at his plate for a bit while still eating before his gaze returned.

"Sorry." He said said but I still caught him everytime I looked.

A/n: so what do you guys think should I go on with the story or is it not interesting?