14

"I think about you too often," I was talking to my ceiling but the words were absolutely intended for Gabriel.

I'd managed to spend this whole week worrying. Stressing and it's all because of him. I'm here in bed quietly wasting a day away because of him.

It's Saturday. I could be anywhere else on a Saturday doing... Anything.

A sigh left my lips, I could be anywhere else on a Saturday doing anything with Stephie but I can't because we're fighting. About him.

Fuck it, I'm tired of fighting. We've been giving each other space for freakin days man. And I miss her crazy annoying ass so I really don't care, I'm going to see her.

I got off my bed and went to the door and abruptly stopped short of it. Here's another thing about Gabriel. He seemed to be around every corner and in every dark spot waiting.

And Gabriel's is the only face I'd like to avoid. So I went instead to my window and climbed out of my own fucking house to escape the interloper.

I grumbled and was upset but I was also free. Time to see my best friend.

Gabriel's p.o.v

"Father," I said as I entered the office. He had called me. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why that was. I hadn't done anything to mandate punishment.

He looked at me for a second and said, "do you still want her?"

This question surprised me but at the same time it didn't. I sat before him at the desk and spoke, "I want to… have her. Own her. Destroy her…

Everytime I touch her though she reminds me that she is not strong enough to be rebuilt into anything useful to me. Not a wife, not a partner, not anyone I would be proud to stand beside and rule… an empire. She can never be like mother."

And this disappointed me deeply. I knew this and yet still I was reluctant to let go. No matter what she or I did, I could still see it in her eyes. I could still see all the places meant for me. The pieces that would suit me perfectly. The places that were mine.

Father leaned forward, his hands gathering at his desk. In Spanish he said, "then let her go and search for someone else."

My response was clear before I even spoke, "Son. If she is yours and you want her, take her, but know that no matter what you decide, I did not raise you to tolerate weakness."

His facial expressions and the tone in which he ended the sentence indicated that the conversation was over, "yes father."

I stood going for the door, ."one last thing before you go, she left out her window fifteen minutes ago."

Rian's p.o.v

I was debating with myself and hesitating. What if she didn't want to see me? I didn't feel like making a fool of myself but at the same time I tried to remind myself that she was my friend and friends fight.

I had to remind myself that she loved me and that I missed her for a reason. Somehow I worked up the courage to come up to the front door.

I was about to knock but thought better of it and rang the doorbell instead, cursing myself for being so awkward. Almost immediately after I rang the door flung open.

Stephie stood before me in footie pajamas, "I thought I was going to implode watching you stand out there."

She was smaller than me, admittedly only slightly but enough to surprise me with the extent to which she crushed me in her hug. I didn't stop her though because I missed her just the same.

After a moment we broke apart, "so I'm taking you out…"

Stephie smiled at the strained words as she continued to crush me, "I'll let you believe anything you want just get in the car."

Panic met with a small amount of joy and I managed to laugh.

Hanging out with Stephie was a corner of peace in a crazy fucked up world. That's where my mind went when she spun me around under the warm glow of the club lights with music vibrating every cell in my body. She just knew how to make me forget.

She reminded me to breathe and I loved her for that. My lungs appreciated her and on the very frequent occasion that she got me in trouble… even then she made me think I would never forget the days with her In them.

She held me after she was done spinning me and as we danced she shouted over the music, "Gabriel's a dick!"

"Ya he is! But fuck him. I don't even wanna think about him."

"Then forget about him."

"The answer was so simple and so painful because it was true. It made me stop dancing, "I can't."

That was Stephie's que to drag me off of the dance floor of the club she'd taken me to. Then she just looked at me and I could tell two things for certain. One: she hated who I'd become. Not since Gabriel but since my dad had died and she'd never say this out loud but she wished I'd just…

Get over it. Obviously Stephie hadn't ever lost anyone she cared about.

And two: this girl was about to get me in some serious trouble.

"But you want to right," she said to me after her long look, "you want to forget him."

Did I? A part of me large enough to make me ashamed didn't know but I said, "I want to forget him."

"Well if you want to know my opinion the best way to forget someone is to find someone new."

Then she looked out into the crowd. Yep… I knew my best friend very well. Something told me I would probably regret listening to her for a slew of reasons.