Chapter 2

The next day was a Monday and after work, Louis and Emma went over to visit and check on his mum and siblings. It killed Louis to see his mum paralysed down one side, and how she sometimes struggled to express herself, like some of her words were missing. Jay had a stroke a few years ago when she was 48, and after that everything changed.

Her marriage to Dan hadn't lasted long after the stroke, so all of the responsibility fell to the eldest kids. Louis did his best to support the family financially, while Lottie juggled working and looking after the twins. The twins were still so young, they had only just started secondary school in September. Lottie did her best to fill the gap, making sure she was there when they got home from school, and being their primary parent. Louis had insisted that Fizzy, Phoebe and Daisy went to university and make something of their lives, while Louis worked all the hours he could to pay for Jay's care.

Jay's carer was packing up her things as Louis and Emma arrived. She quickly filled the couple in on how Jay was doing - that she wasn't eating properly and that she was very despondent today. Louis thanked her for her efforts and told her she could leave a little early today as he could take over, then went into the lounge to see his mum. He walked in to see her sitting by the window and staring out of it vacantly. He said with false cheeriness, "Hello Mum", and walked over to give her a kiss on the cheek. She barely responded and he sat down beside her and took her working hand.

Emma left the room to put the kettle on. She hadn't known Jay before the stroke and sometimes she really struggled to know what to say, and how to help. Louis had told her a lot about his mum, and there were times that she caught flashes of the woman that Louis had described. But most of the time, she was just a shadow of the woman she used to be, because in so many ways she had given up on life. Emma hated how much it hurt Louis and couldn't count the times after visiting his mum she'd comforted him as he cried himself to sleep.

Taking the tea she'd made back into the lounge, Emma saw Louis chatting brightly to his mum, trying to cheer her up and engage her in conversation, but Jay just sat looking out of the window and didn't respond. Louis sometimes wondered if his mum was even in her body anymore.

After fifteen minutes or so, Lottie arrived home with Ernest and Doris, who ran up to kiss and hug their mother and brother. They excitedly chatted about their days at school and what the latest gossip was. Louis grinned at Lottie, remembering when they had been that age, how exciting they had found everything. His grin quickly faded as he remembered how his mum had been so involved in their childhood, and always full of interest and enthusiasm for their stories of school and friends. She hadn't even looked up at the twin's entrance and didn't say a word to them; she just kept looking out of the window vacantly.

Lottie sent the twins upstairs to do their homework while Louis motioned to Emma to hold the fort so he and Lottie could have a quick chat. The two eldest siblings stood up and went into the kitchen, closing the door behind them. With a sigh Louis debriefed Lottie on what the carer had said before she'd left, and how unresponsive she'd been with Louis.

Lottie tiredly rubbed her face and said "I don't know what else I can do, she just seems to have given up. This doesn't have to be the end of Mum's life, she's only fifty. So many people go on after a stroke and still live really full lives. She won't take anti-depressants, go to therapy or any self-help groups. I'm at my wits end and I'm so tired."

Louis hugged his little sister and kissed her on the forehead. He felt terrible about how much he'd put on her. She had pretty much become a mother and carer at the age of 22 and now, by the age of 25 she was exhausted and barely had any joy left in her life. She never did anything for herself, and she'd missed out on so many of the experiences a young girl should have had in her early twenties. She bore it so well and hardly ever complained; so sometimes, Louis admitted guiltily to himself, he forgot how young she was. He could only help out two or three nights a week and on the weekends, as he had to work such long hours to cover both his mortgage, his Mum's and the cost of her carer.

Louis told Lottie to go and have a nice relaxing bath, while he and Emma sat with their Mum and made dinner. Lottie's eyes filled with tears and she thanked him and told him how much she needed the 'me time'. Louis went into the lounge to take over from Emma and sit with his mum, while Emma went into the kitchen to make a start on dinner.

Once Emma had finished cooking she called that dinner was ready. The twins ran downstairs and Lottie came down, with her wet hair tied in a top knot, looking much more relaxed and refreshed after her bath. Louis wheeled his Mum's wheelchair into position at the kitchen table and took a seat. Emma had prepared a simple meal of homemade spaghetti bolognese with a side salad. The siblings chatted as they ate while Jay picked listlessly at her food, holding her fork in her one working hand. Louis, Emma and Lottie noticed anxiously how little Jay was actually eating, though luckily the twins seemed oblivious.

After Louis had put the twins to bed, he sat with Lottie and Jay in the lounge and taking a deep breath said, "I've got some important news". Lottie looked up at him curiously as he continued flatly, "I am reforming with One Direction."

Lottie gaped and at this news his mother's head snapped up, "You're doing what?" Jay asked incredulously. Louis repeated what he said, and for the first time in months, he saw a spark in Jay's eyes. He quickly outlined the terms of the reunion, and what the money would mean for them as a family. They talked about the security this would bring them, to be able to pay off the mortgages and the care they would be able to afford for Jay and the twins, so Lottie could fulfill her dream of going travelling and have a somewhat normal life.

Jay laughed and chatted, making Lottie and Louis felt like they had their mum back. His mum had tears in her eyes as she took Louis' hand in hers and said sincerely, "Thank you for doing this son, I know it won't be easy, with all the history, betrayal and pain. I know you're doing this for us and I appreciate it so much. I know how much you three do already for me and the twins and I'm sorry I haven't been in a good enough place to tell you that."

Taking a deep breath she continued, "I hate what I've become and I just wanted to give up. I couldn't see a future for myself with this broken body. I just wanted to die so I was less of a burden for you all. But this is giving me such hope for our future, a fresh start. I can get the best treatment and therapy. You won't have to struggle so much and I won't feel so guilty. You three can have a real life."

Louis, Emma and Lottie all were crying by the end of her speech, and they cuddled round her chair and they enveloped Jay in a huge group hug; all murmuring endearments, apologies and their forgiveness.

Louis and Emma went home at about 10 as they both had long days at work the next day. Lottie promised to tell the news to their siblings tomorrow. As they left, they could hear Lottie and Jay talk excitedly about seeing the lads and going to the reunion shows.

As he drove home, Louis looked at Emma with a smile, "This makes it all worth it." Emma nodded and said "I can't get over how alive she was tonight, this is exactly what she needed to snap her out of her depression". Louis felt like a huge weight had lifted and could hope for a better future for the first time in a while.