¶ CHAPTER 7 ¶

NAAZ

We were standing in front of a gate; the guard had asked us to not move. It was a huge mansion. Didi had brought me along with her. I hadn't thought it would turn so easy to find a job in an unknown city. Disha, who I met on the train, had been a huge help, from providing shelter to looking after my living arrangement. She had done everything! I could never thank her enough.

The girl beside me passed a smile, "if she agrees to have you as a housekeeper. It will make your life! Do you know whose place is this?" She paused for a second, realising I wasn't understanding a word. "Sorry... Tumko pata hai, kiska bagla hai yeh?" She repeated those words in Hindi. I shook my head.

"Iss Duniya ke famous doctor, Mr Ritesh Shukla. Woh yaha nahi rehte bus uska beta rehta hai, ab kuch dino ke liye aaye hai." (The mansion of the world-famous doctor, Mr Ritesh Shukla. He doesn't stay here only his son does, but he has come for a few days.) I nodded, anxious, covering my face with the dupatta. If anything happened to them due to me, they might even send me to jail.

"Didi... why should we..." Before I could interrupt on the matter, the guard walked out.

"Now, you can meet her." We both offered him a nod. At the exact minute, the car drove at high speed from the other gate. I had a mini-heart attack seeing the speed. The owner was least affected, I shook my head. It wasn't the first time I came across such drivers; the city was filled with such people. It even scared me to cross the road, none had the patience to wait. But the car drove by was intending to have an accident, such speed it consisted.

"Come..." Saying so Priya dragged me inside, I called her 'didi'. She was bigger in age and was looking after me as I stayed with her. Every hardworking woman had a son to look after. I wasn't aware of her husband but she was a wonderful mother. Taking care of him, going to work, facing all miseries yet not letting the pain be displayed before his four years son. I had grown fond of him, spending time with him and helping her with him as for the past one week I wasn't getting any job.

It made me feel guilty as I was becoming a burden for her as it was a tough job for her to manage two lives and I was adding more pain. So, the minute I saw the advertisement in the newspaper, I asked Didi if I could start with the job. That resulted in the front of the mansion, as a guard allowed us inside. I was roaming my eyes around the luxurious mansion. It was indicating the richness the soul living in the building carried, the anxiousness was building in my heart. Would they choose me? Or would we have to walk back empty-handed? I was even scared to touch an object, everything on the lawn seemed so delicate. How precious would be the material inside the mansion?

We were walking on the smooth glass, no longer my feet feeling the burden of carrying myself. I felt as if the ground had turned smoother, I moved my gaze around. At each corner, there were planted flowers. The views were so eyes rewarding after departing from Chandigarh and apart from the view of greenery I got from the train. It was the first time; my eyes could view so much greenery around. I won't mind if I was given a job as a gardener. Spending time with nature was my favourite job!

A voice coughing grabbed my attention from the plants. I moved my gaze at the person, her spying eyes fixed on me. I turned nervous under her gaze, attempting to cover my face. "You both, here?" Her eyes shifted to Priya didi, she pressed a smile towards the lady.

"We heard of you desiring a housekeeper." The lady nodded, while Priya continued. "You might be knowing Disha," she took a second before agreeing. "She is my best friend, and she is very fond of Sana..." I was confused for a minute before realising they had changed my name. They found it quite old fashioned and even provided me with a few sets of clothes. Priya didi claimed that the first impression was the last impression, it was the biggest job and people would be lined up for it. But I was amazed seeing none roaming around the mansion.