¶ CHAPTER 9 ¶

NAAZ

After the first encounter I had with Sidharth after weeks of separation, it wasn't leaving my mind. The owner of the house, the lady who appointed me, was scolding me. Maybe considering my disobedience reason behind her son's action. I hadn't ever met his parents or haven't seen any picture, yet I knew Sidharth was very fond of his mother. He had got many calls from her during his stay in the village. His cold behaviour towards her stunned me. But their parents weren't surprised. It indicated it wasn't the first time he acted in that manner.

The view of his room was describing the same. But during his entire stay, I wasn't able to recognise him having a drinking and smoking habit. Did he have it? Or was it a newfound habit? I shook my head, concentrating back on the lady before me.

"Is she dumb? Why isn't she reacting?" Her furious eyes were attempting to dig me inside the ground.

"Sumitra! Calm down!" The man beside her spoked. "She isn't the reason," making her fury to subside. The man stared at me, "you go and complete your work." Concentrating back on his wife, I understood that he safeguard me from his wife's anger. Slowly I descended downstairs, not knowing where to move. As I got out of the mansion. I got a sight of the garden, getting engrossed in the work I cherished the most. Watering the plants! They weren't cared about. Yet my mind wasn't allowing me to move from the scenario that took place a few minutes back.

I wasn't able to accept the fact that faith had landed me to the person, I was trying to escape. I left the village, state for him but destiny had its plan. Plan of bringing us together under the same roof. I was curious to know about his whereabouts, to know about his health. His thought never left my mind, yet I couldn't move back to him. To protect his life. That caused me to groan, as I pressed the pierced finger hard, engrossing in thought. Blowing air on it, and again started with watering the plant. My sudden disappearance had helped him to cure. My decision wasn't wrong, departing my path from his was the reason behind him breathing on the planet.

Na jaane re jamana....Kyu chahe re mitana

I wasn't bothered with the anger showcased towards me, my concern was that his hate could help him to stay away from me. I wasn't desiring him to land in trouble once again for me. Completing my goal, I walked inside. How was I to convey my change of decision? I moved my gaze, searching for their presence. Found them at the dining table, having lunch. They had cook to look after their food, I got a glimpse of him serving them. He passed a smile, he seemed to be the same age as uncle Pritam. I returned a nervous smile, attempting to conceal my face.

"Madam, mainu aapse kuch kehna hai" (I need to convey to you something) Waiting patiently, mustering up courage. I voiced myself, they moved their gaze from plate towards me.

"What are you speaking?" Hardly understanding my words.

"She is Punjabi I think, so her Hindi isn't fluent." Spoke the man beside him. "Hmm... kya bolna chahti ho?" (Hmm... What you want to convey?) The person encouraged me to speak, he seemed quiet of good nature unlike his wife.

"Main ethe aur kaam nahi kar sakdi. Mainu yeh chodna...." (I won't be able to work any longer. I need to leave...) Hesitating as I spoke those words, I knew a bold reaction would be offered from the other side.

"What! You were..." Before the lady could burst on me, her husband halted her. Gesturing something from his eyes, "do whatever you want to." Surrendering, concentrating in her food. She was pissed by her husband's interpretation.

"Hum jante hai ki tumara yeh decision kyu aaya hai. Hum samjhte bhi hai tumko, par..." (We know why you have taken such a decision and understand you as well but...) He paused thinking for suitable words, he was finding it difficult to carry the conversation in Hindi. Indicating that he might have lost practise, as if he hadn't spoken after years.