¶ CHAPTER 17 ¶

NAAZ

Roaming around the garden, glancing at every flower. I was lost in the conversation we had a few hours back. The guy after me, the one urging me to stop thinking as a curse, had faced such events in his life. My heartfelt burden of being responsible for the pain he was receiving. The flashes of his room got before my eyes, the pieces of glass. Ashes of cigarettes spreading on the floor. The smell of alcohol mixed with the smoke of cigarettes surrounded the room. I couldn't imagine the one who spread smiles in my life was dealing with so much pain. He had a family, such a beautiful house, friends, yet he was so alone inside.

"Where are you lost?" Questioned Karan, waving his hand before me. I shook my head, faking a smile. "Sidharth ke baare mein soch rahi ho?" And glancing at him once, I diverted my gaze back at the flower. "You might be wondering that this Sidharth is so different from the one in the village. Kitne alag hai na dono?" He inquired, and I nodded in agreement. My eyes were fixed on plants in the garden.

"You know, ki kyu woh tumahare piche chala jata tha? Kyu usko ek zid thi, tumhari life badal ne ki... kyuki he had seen him in you. The label curse you dealt with, he was mentioned the same many times. Maine yeh uncle ke samne nahi bola, kyuki I don't blame him either but indirectly uncle too was responsible for making him believe he is inferior. I had witnessed those traits of him, those days when he curses himself. He is disgusted with himself, nafrat hai usse khud se... isliye woh khud se dur jana chahta hai... aur dur jane ki chah mein... nashe ki duniya mein lupt ho jata hai. Dar hai mujhe aur uske dad ko ki hum usko kahi kho na de... uski condition worse ho rahi hai wakt ke sath, aur hope bus tum ho humari." He wasn't even able to finish the words when the cook walked towards us in hurry.

"Karan beta, Ritesh sir bula rahe hai. Sid sab ki halat bigad rahi hai..." His eyes conveying anxiousness, I was frightened listening to it. I went numb but seeing Karan running, I rushed along with him. Was on the verge to step inside, but stopped myself. Peeping into the room, I got a glimpse of Sidharth. He was standing, moving his gaze to Karan.

"Can you ask him to leave?" Grabbing his head tight, "he is killing my nerves. He had removed my entire collection," pushing the cupboard with such a force that it landed on the floor. Luckily the cupboard was strong enough not to end into pieces.

"Sid, relax! You are not consuming any nutrients so I can't allow you to have alcohol either." His dad offered him a stern face, not going to give off.

"You are none, to disturb me! You have no right, over my life! Stop dominating me!" Voicing out fury, his eyes radiating the anger within.

"He is your dad, Sid! You can't act in such a manner with him." His mom opposed Sidharth's act but those words had the least effect, his eyes were searching for something more precious. "Are you listening to me?" Questioned Sumitra on seeing his son not listening to him.

"I NEED ALCOHOL..." Urging, his eyes landing on Karan.

"Sid, try to listen. It isn't healthy for you now..."

"You too gang up with them, how could you? I don't want to..." Pulled the vase from a nearby table throwing it in anger, but unfortunately, it landed on his mom's head. I was built with horror seeing the blood oozing, those black orbs containing fury a minute back soften a little listening to his mom's grasp but a second later, hearing his dad's yell it turn back dark.

"What the hell!" Ritesh moved towards his wife. Touching the forehead, "bring ice-pack..." He screamed, I rushed towards the kitchen, cook too followed me. As we reached, he handed me an ice pack from the refrigerator. My heart was feeling heavy, seeing the worsening condition of Sidharth. They were not lying when they spoke about losing Sidharth, he was turning dangerous and it scared me. It built fear of his future health issues.