¶ CHAPTER 16 ¶

"Hey!" Karan waved a hand before Shehnaaz, on finding her lost in thoughts. "Kidhar kho gayi?" (Where you got lost?) Questioned Karan, chuckling seeing her caught dreaming.

"Hmm... woh..." Shehnaaz was fumbling with words, not getting anything in mind.

"Sidharth ke khayalo mein..." (In Sidharth dreams...) Lyra teased, and was going to continue but she got a call and she had to excuse herself.

There was silence for a minute when Karan prompted her, "Sidharth ke bare mein kya baat karni thi?" (What you wanted to know about Sidharth?)

"Kalank... woh kaise... kalank hai uske family ke liye?" (How is he curse for his family?) Sudden question from Shehnaaz, stunned Karan. He wasn't anticipating an interrogation on that topic. Shehnaaz stared at him nervously as she wasn't knowing how Karan would take those words.

"Tum yeh kyu puch rahi ho? I mean... tumko kaise...?" (Why are you asking it? I mean... how come...?) He wasn't understanding how to put the words forward. None knew about Sidharth past other than him and his parents, how was he supposed to express it out to Shehnaaz? Would Sid's family be fine with it? Was he given the right to share it with someone?

"I knew, this would happen." Came a voice, grabbing both of their attention. "And I don't blame Sushi's nonsense talk for it." Karan got confused listening to Ritesh those words. Sushi! What she had to do with the ongoing conversation? Shehnaaz bowed her head, thinking her actions would be considered wrong. She was intending to know about Sidharth, due to her concern but maybe others would misinterpret her moves.

"I think, we need to have the conversation inside..." Ritesh eyes landed on Lyra a few yards away busy in the call. Karan turned, nodding half-heartily. He wasn't desiring to leave without informing Lyra but he was left with no option. They made their way towards the study room. The door was closed so the conversation could be just between the three of them.

"Toh... kya puchna tha tumhe?" (So, what you wanted to ask?) Ritesh stern voice was turning Shehnaaz scared, she moved her gaze to request help from Karan.

"Daro mat, uncle khud tumko sab kuch batana chahte hai. Isliye tumko yaha laye hai," Karan glanced at Ritesh for confirmation and he blinked his eyes in assurance. (Don't be afraid, uncle wants to convey the matter to you so he brought you inside.)

"Batana toh chahta hu..." (I want to convey....) Ritesh paused for a minute. "Pr agar tum meri madat karogi tab hi..." (But only if you help me in the matter...) Waiting for a response from Shehnaaz.

"Kaisi madat?" (What help?) Asked confused Shehnaaz, she was feeling anxious. Though she wanted to know about Sidharth yet she was scared, she couldn't imagine any bad happening to him. The way Ritesh and Karan were disclosing the matter was adding to her worries.

"Sid ka use Kalank mitane ki madat, Sidharth ki sari buri adaat dur karne ki madat." (Help! To remove the curse from Sid, help to pull away all the bad habits from him.)

"Mai! Mai kaise...?" (How can I?) She stared at Karan for help, but he was looking at her with a questioning look. "Woh mere se nafrat karte hai... unko mera chehra bhi nahi dekh na... phir... mai..." (He hates me.... He doesn't desire even to glance at my face, then... me...) She was stunned seeing them trusting on her to cure Sidharth. She had seen the hate and had lost hope, he would never forgive her.

"Nafrat!" (Hate!) Karan chuckled, "woh nafrat nahi... pyaar ko chupane ka ek tarika hai." (It isn't hating but a way to hide love.) He shook his head uttering those words. "Jab usko pata chala ki tum usko chod kar chali gayi, us bimari ki halat mein... woh pura Chandigarh guma. Sirf tumhe ek baar dekhne ke liye, tumhe apne se dur jaane se rokh ne ke liye. Woh tumko khona nahi chahta tha. Puri strength laga di usne pr tumko nahi paya, yeh feeling usko adhar hi adhar mar rahi thi. Usko lag raha tha, ki usmein hi koi kami hai jo har koi usse dur jana chahta hai." Karan had tears as he recollected that devasted state of Sidharth, "phir usne har mani... zindagi mein pheli bar... woh har gaya uski Zid mein... Zid tumko ek better Zindagi dene ki... Zid tumko khush dekhne ki..." Zid tumko apna bananeki... but Karan didn't voice it out loud, as he knew it would scare the shit out of her. She wasn't ready for the confession.