Chapter 57

I woke up with soft a buzzing of my phone. Disoriented, I found it on the bedside table. Victoria is nowhere to be found and I grinned.

Not looking at the blinding lights of the flashing screen, I squinted my eyes and answered the call.

"Hello?".

"Hello, good evening. This is Doctor Matthew Halls. From St. Anne's hospital?."

I say up not bothering to cover my chest, not that there's much to cover anyway.

"Oh, yeah? Sup doc?".

"I'm just here to inform you that your wife will be discharged tomorrow. The blood samples turned out good."

"Wife?".

"Yes. Uhhhh- Mrs. Sandra Hawthorne?".

"No. She's not my wife."

"Oh, but she-".

"She's not my wife." I said again.

"Okay. I'm so sorry for assuming. Well, she will be discharged tomorrow. I need someone to sign the discharge papers and settle the bills."

"I'll be there tomorrow."

"Thank you. Have a nice evening."

"Thanks." I say and turned off the phone and put it back on the nightstand.

I must have missed something or forgotten something. I bit my lip. Not being able to think of anything, I laid back down on the bed face down.

I hear the soft click of the door and smirked. Victoria must have been back from where she's from and I remained still, pretending to be asleep.

"You sure have been taking good care of my daughter." A very familiar voice says and I froze. Chills run down my spine and not in the good way.

"This is still my home and I know that I was wrong and unethical but you do not have a right to barge into my bedroom." Victoria says in a stern voice.

I bit my lip and winced.

"I have every right to barge into your bedroom and into your life when you're gonna be in my daughter's!". My mother says in a shrill voice.

Fucking fuck I wish I could disappear. Sure, I'll be right on Victoria back but I'm naked and anybody will ever be ashamed to let their mother know of their sex life. Knowing my track record, I should not be anymore but I cower because I was caught off guard.

"I hoped that it was under different circumstances that you find out about me and your daughter Mrs. Hawthorne but- Diana and I are together now. I wish- how I wish I could explain what I felt and feel towards your daughter. She's the most important person in my life after such a long time I was neglecting everyone who shows me that they care. I am not after your money, your lavish life or anything else. I understand your concerns as Diana's mother because I will be behaving the same as you are, if not much worse if I find out that my child has a relationship with her supposed to be Doctor and Professor."

"I trusted you Doctor Clements! You have been professional all throughout your career and please, you know I always make sure that I have all the background checks done whenever I know somebody gets too close to my daughter. I picked you, I picked the university where you work. All the while I thought that you can help my daughter but you've done more than helping, you slept with her! She's just a chi-".

"No!". I sat up but made sure to cover my body with the blanket. I had enough listening to their conversation and I'm not gonna play dead while my mother tells my girlfriend off, and of course saying that I'm a child. "I'm not a kid anymore mom! I'm sorry you've found out this way and I'm sorry for keeping this from you but I'm not sorry that I fell in love to Victoria. And you don't have a say in this, I love her!".