Chapter 32

Sitting in front of Alberta De Vaughn, sipping my coffee idly while talking about what is going on with the school board makes me want to crawl back to my bed and sleep.

"I have also planned to raise the budget for the Computer Laboratories Department. Everything has been settled and filed." She says as she continues to bore me with all her planning and agenda for the University Board meeting on Monday.

"Have Mrs. Agatha Hawthorne called you?". I simply asked.

"What?". She frowned at me.

"Miss Hawthorne's mother. Has she called you?". I say as I look at her intently.

"Oh, yes. Yes she did. She wants me to update her most of the time about Diana's status." She nodded her head and leaned back on her chair.

"She called me last week. I haven't got a hold of you because your good for nothing secretary says you are unavailable. Honestly, where did you pick up such a retard?". I say with a quip when I remembered that woman who answered my phone call to Alberta after I spoke with Diana Hawthorne's mother. She dared to tell me that Alberta does not accept any work related calls all throughout the week and she is more than willing to set me up an appointment. I hung up the phone, not without telling her that she's imbecile.

Alberta laughed at me. "Oh c'mon, I can barely remember where I put my pen for a minute everytime I'm in the office. I swear somebody's been going through my things!".

I have known this woman ever since kindergarten. I cannot say that we are so close but she's the closest as a friend I could get. Her father once owned the bar accross from our house and my mother always calls the police to place a noise complaint against them though you can barely hear any noise from our inside of the house because of such thick walls.

As far as I can remember, her mother died of car accident and her father killed himself when we were in our seniors. We were classmates then since kindergarten until college. She just majored in different department, I really didn't knew why I tolerate her.

"I don't want to receive any payment for the service." I say as I stare at her.

"What? Why? But I can't blame you. That girl went through alot." She says with a shrug.

"You haven't read the file about her, do you?." I asked with a frown.

"Nope. But I knew about what happened. I knew Sandra Smith. She had been one of my co-lecturers on one of the subjects I taught as a foreign lecturer in England." She says.

"Sandra Smith?".

"Yes. There had been a huge scandal on the University when she left. People had been talking. That she got pregnant by some underage kid and her husband found out. At that time, some speculations about being involved with some teenage girl. That was stopped because she announced that she's pregnant with her husband and God, she was already in her 40's. She left the Uni then moved somewhere. Some I heard that she is really involved with some girl half her age. And that they said, was Diana Hawthorne. It died down because everyone knows she's close to the Hawthorne family and is Diana's godmother."

"Was it ever true?". I muttered.
That's why she was never phased that I am 35 years old. And 15 years older than her.

"Last I heard, yes." Alberta says and I can't help but stare blankly at her. "You can't blame me. A few pictures were sent out all over the school!".

"What pictures?."

"It was some lip locking pictures. Of Diana and Sandra. They say it was photoshopped or something but I have a student who tried to report to me. She also takes my class and also is Sandra's student. One day, she forgot her dorm keys at Sandra's office and when she came back to get it, she swore on her life that she saw Diana Hawthorne and Sandra Smith making out. That's all I know, I got back awhile after that so I didn't really know."