Sober

I had been at Bret's for three weeks now. And, I was stone cold sober for the first time in a very long time.

It was a strange feeling. But, Bret was wonderful.  He took care of me. We ate together,slept together. He was compassionate and kind. He even offered to hire me a therapist.  I said no.

I actually began to care for him Maybe love him. Yes. No. I didn't. I did. Which if I did meant I broke my own rule.

Bobby,Rikki and C.C. came over every single day. C.C. was nuts but he made me laugh. These guys were good guys and they cared about one another and dare I say....me.

One morning I awoke particularly late to hear a bunch of voices downstairs.  I heard laughing and all kinds of sounds. Wth?!

Suddenly,  C.C. burst through the door.

"C.C.!"

He danced around the room looking at my clothes and dressers.

"What the hell are you doing?"

He yanked the covers off me. And grabbed my arms. Half laughing half mad, "C.C. what has gotten into you? You're acting like a psycho!"

"Company! Torr!  You have company. Get up. Make yourself presentable you look like a street junkie. Now,hurry!"

He shoved me into the shower. I was laughing and scared. Who would be here for me? I had no clue.

I showered,got dressed put my make up and full attire on and Bret walked in.

"Hey baby. You look beautiful. As always." And he kissed my hand. "There are some people to see you but you're not going to do it alone. I'm with you."

I nodded and followed him downstairs. We walked into the living room and I stopped cold. There was Billie Jo, and Bret's family.