Time to Leave

After the wonderful Christmas day, I went back to Jo's on the 26th and basically moved in.

Temporarily, of course. But, it was always fun there and like" normal." Bret and his band named, Poison. Cool name, I guess.

They even played all their songs for us. Bret insisted on playing for his mom who insisted he did. And, the girls.....these guys attracted girls everywhere they went.

They swarmed them like flies. It was kind of strange. All these tramps and whores were always all over Bret. Ugh. I hated it. My neck would turn  so red. Jo would laugh and say, "Hey, this chick is kissing your boyfriend."

She thought it was hysterical I had such a huge crush. She told Debbie who I am pretty sure told the guys. They teased me insistently.

They nicknamed me "jailbait"  and it stuck. For the next two weeks that was my name. Finally, the break was over. Back to school for Jo and I and the road for the band. Whatever the road is, I have no idea.

I came home and I knew something wasn't right. And, not just the police cars in the driveway either. Fear coursed through my veins. I burst through the door.

A cop stopped me. " Hey. Stop. You can't go in. This is a crime scene."

I literally screamed back. "This is my house!"

"Let her in." A voice said. It was my father.

I ran in already crying.

"Dad! Dad! What's happening? "

He looked coldly at me.

"Your mother's dead."

I felt all the wind go out of me. "Mom? Dead?"

"Yes, and your loser brother killed her."

My head started spinning. My knees buckled and I began screaming.

"Shut up Torrence!  Pull yourself together!" My father yelled.

The cops were shaking their heads and looking at us.

I turned to one cop.

"I want to see her."

"Young lady, that's not a good idea. You really shouldn't- "

"I WANT TO SEE MY MOTHER!!"

"Let her, Steve." Some other cop said and Steve let me pass.

What I saw will forever be ingrained in my mind. My mother laying on our ratty couch with blood everywhere.  It was on the floor,the walls,couch and her.

It didn't look like my mom. She was covered in blood her eyes wide open in fear. That must have been her last look. I knelt down and kissed the one spot on her head without blood.

"I love you mommy."

I walked to my father.

"Where's Tony?"

He pointed outside. "He's arrested in the police car."

"Why? Why did he do this?" Tears were streaming down my face.

"The bitch probably deserved it."

I stared at him in horror.  The room was going black. The last thing I saw was a cops face before everything went black.

I woke up in the back of the ambulance with my father sitting there looking annoyed. I sat up.

"Careful,honey." Said the paramedic.

I sat up and we were alone. My father and I.

"Now what,dad?" I asked.

He cleared his throat.

"Well, as you probably know I have a girlfriend.  Her name is Julia. Were getting married as soon as the funeral is over. "

"What?" I shrieked. 

"Torrence,  calm yourself. But, don't worry. We want a new start. So.....you're going into foster care. We want our own family and Julia wants no reminders of your mother."

I was stunned, scared and began trembling.

"Tomorrow the social service lady will be here to get you. So, I'm going to Julia's now. She's here waiting. I'll give you some dough now. Good luck."

He handed me a wad of cash. I didn't even count it. I watched him walk into a woman's arms,embrace her and climb into her car. They drove off. And, just like that I was an orphan.

Foster care my ass.  I am leaving on my own terms. I pushed all the pain and horror I had just seen that day. I already bought my ticket. I was getting the hell out of here. Now.

I grabbed my guitar, my few clothes I had, my make up and headed to the bus station. I thought of Jo and my heart started to ache. No! Put it away. I did. I was going to be gone forever. Never back to this hell hole again.

I was on a bus bound for Los Angeles.

A/N
Sorry, this was short. I needed to move the story along to Los Angeles.  Thanks for reading!