Chapter Sixteen

Myrtle arrived back to sitting on the couch with her family to continue to watch the hunger games and watched as Katniss aimed her bow and arrow at the stack of supplies the few tribute allies had gathered and the bow hit a bag of apples which fell causing the supplies to all blow up.

This sent Katniss flying backwards along with the few supplies. One male tribute walked looking at the damage while a few of the other tributes arrived. The blind male tribute yelled at the male tribute then grabbed and threw away his weapon then using his hands snapped his neck killing him instantly and falling to the ground.

This didn't surprise Myrtle since she was used to seeing tributes getting killed  from watching the hunger games since she was only four years old however she still felt bad for them and for those who loved them.

Katniss finally got up and ran back into the woods which relieved Myrtle so the other tributes wouldn't see that Katniss was there or else they would kill her which Myrtle, Her family, Gale and the Everdeen family didn't want to happen.

Katniss whistled and the birds responded. Katniss whistled a second time causing the birds to respond again. Myrtle watched as Katniss arrive back to the wood gathered up for the fire however Rue wasn't there.

Where's Rue or what happened to her? Myrtle thought to herself. Rue began calling for Katniss for help causing Katniss to run to find and help Rue.

Katniss finally made to to where Rue was. Rue was laying on the ground trapped in a net and Katniss used her knife to cut the ropes and the net to set Rue free. Once Katniss got Rue free from the trap Rue hugged Katniss and Katniss returned the hug.

Seeing this brought a smile to Myrtle's face. I like their friendship however I can't help but wonder how long they will last as friends and allies before one of them gets killed, Myrtle said. One of them may be the winner or they both may die, I don't know, it is nice to see that some tributes can get along, Lavender said.

Katniss and Rue ended their hug as a male tribute was behind Katniss and threw his weapon at them then Katniss fired a bow at him killing him. Sadly Rue was impaled with the weapon which Katniss saw when she turned around back to Rue as Rue pulled it out of herself.

As Rue fell back Katniss caught her in her arms. Katniss unzipped Rue's jacket to reveal where she was impaled and the blood was coming out. Katniss stayed with Rue until she soon died from her injury. Katniss then closed Rue's eyes.

Watching Katniss grieve Rue drove Myrtle to tears and she hurried to wipe away her tears so her brother and sister and mom wouldn't see. Myrtle continued to watch as Katniss picked flowers.

Katniss had all the flowers surround Rue and placed some in her hands then bent down to kiss Rue's forehead, Katniss looked up and the got up and began walking away. Soon Katniss stopped walking and turned back around. Katniss placed her two fingers to her lips kissing it and did the two finger salute. Myrtle, Dawn, Flint and Lavender each did the finger salute for Rue.

I'll be back soon, Lavender told her kids while tears were coming out of her eyes while getting up and leaving for the bathroom. Blue got up and followed behind Lavender. Myrtle however noticed their mom was crying and needed time alone so Myrtle kept quiet so she wouldn't worry her younger siblings.

At least Blue is there to help comfort mom and to help calm her back down, Myrtle thought to herself. Myrtle stayed sitting on the couch as she and her siblings Co tinges to watch the hunger games curious to see what would happen next and if Katniss would win or not.