Chapter 16: Snowdin Town

"Welcome to Snowdin Town!" a large sign covered in festive lights said as we entered the town. It was a quaint, cozy place, with old-fashioned, wooden buildings around. There was one brick building that looked like a restaurant, and a Christmas tree near the center. I could also hear a river nearby, and I knew it must be the river the winds through the Underground.

The shop Sans told us about was close by, and the first thing I did was guide Frisk and Toby to it.

Is it safe? Frisk signed.

Yeah, I signed back. Many monsters don't even know what a human looks like. Or they don't care.

The others did.

Yeah, but we should be okay here in town. It was a long while since I lasted visited Snowdin. While I spent most of my time growing up in the Waterfall community, I had visited Snowdin a couple of times. The only difference now was that it was a bit more bustling, but just a little bit.

We went inside the shop, and were greeted by a bunny woman. "Hello, traveler. How can I help you?"

"Hey. I was wondering if we could get a collar for our new friend here?" I asked, motioning to our new companion.

"Ah, yes, we should have a couple here." the woman lead us over to a rack with a bunch of collars. I picked up a simple red one with a bone-shaped tag, while Frisk nervously waved at the monster behind me.

"Hiya!" she said to the kid. "Welcome to Snowdin! You know, I can't remember the last time I saw a fresh face around here. Where did you come from? The capital?"

Frisk shook her head.

"Well, you don't look like tourists. Are you guys traveling together?"

"Yes, we are," I replied, showing her my choice of collar. Since we were talking, I figured this might be a chance to figure out what has changed. "So, what is there to do around here?"

"You want to know what to here in Snowdin?" the bunny woman replied. "Grillby's has food, and the library has information... If you're tired, you can take a nap at the inn. It's right next door. My sister runs it."

"I might consider it." I was feeling a bit fatigued.

"Please do. And if you're bored, you can sit outside and watch those skeletons do their thing."

"You mean Sans and Papyrus?"

"Ah, so you've met them. Yeah, they just showed up one and... asserted themselves. The town has a lot more interesting since then."

"Okay, so they live around here I guess." This was interesting to me. Gaster lived in Waterfall, so why did his sons live in Snowdin? It wasn't a big deal to me, just a bit surprising. "Anyways, what is the town like?"

How did you make this town? Frisk signed, adding to my question.

"My friend here is wondering about the town history," I relayed.

"Well, think back to your history class... A long time ago, monsters lived in the Ruins back there in the forest. Long story short, we all decided to leave the Ruins and head for the end of the caverns. Along the way, some fuzzy fold decided they liked the cold and set up camp in Snowdin. Oh, and don't think about trying to explore the Ruins... The door's been locked for ages. So unless you're a ghost or can burrow under the door, forget about it."

"Yeah, don't tell me about it." It wasn't exactly easy to say that "hey, we actually came from the Ruins!". That would be suspicious. "So, what is life like here?"

"Life is the same as usual. A little claustrophobic... But... we all know deep down that freedom is coming, don't we? As long as we got that hope, as long as we got that hope, we grit our teeth and face the same struggles, day after day... That's life ain't it?"