Chapter 32: The Clearing

"Wow, I can't believe that believe that you have your own private training grounds!" Undyne exclaimed.

We had just arrived at the Clearing. I remembered it well, a flat dirt plain, surrounded by rocks and plant life, about 100 yards in diameter. On top of practicing magic, I would spend time with friends out here, having fun. I remembered the times we'd dance along to Blooky's music.

"The Clearing doesn't belong to me, it's just close to my home," Gaster corrected. "However, it is just as secluded as my home, so in a sense, I suppose it is private."

Papyrus and Sans were already waiting for us, but while Papyrus was fully awake, and very much brimming with energy, Sans was already napping.

"YOU HAVE ARRIVED!" Papyrus exclaimed. "ARE WE READY FOR SPARRING?"

"Heck, yeah," Undyne replied excitedly. "You should told me about this place before."

"BUT YOU HAVE THE ROYAL GUARD'S TRAINING GROUNDS..."

"Well, I guess, but we could've had some one-on-one sparring here!"

"GOOD POINT."

"This is certainly a good spot to practice magic," Gaster spoke up. "This is where I taught Sans and Papyrus on our form of magic, and where my father taught me. Chara also practiced here."

"I'll be honest, it's hard to believe Sans does any kind of training," Undyne remarked, looking over at Sans.

"hey, cut me some slack," the skeleton replied. I guess he wasn't as asleep as I thought.

"YET, WE ARRIVE AND YOU GO RIGHT BACK TO SLEEP!" Papyrus countered.

"Well, perhaps he can watch Frisk," I said. "We should do some warm-ups before I help her."

"I SUPPOSE THAT WORKS," Papyrus agreed.

So, Frisk, along with Toby, ran over, and sat down by Sans. Well, the dog hopped right into the skeleton's lap, giving Sans a hefty grunt.

Gaster then spoke up. "I understand that you don't have much faith in Sans's abilities, due to his lack of ambition. But I'd ask that you do indeed 'give him some slack'. Keep in mind what we discussed yesterday."

"Fair..." Undyne replied. "I still can't imagine what that's like."

"It is difficult, to say the least. But besides that, I should also let you know that Sans is actually quite skilled in magic, a very powerful mage. I taught him well."

"I MUST ADMIT, SANS IS EXCEPTIONALLY SKILLED. HE'S EVEN MASTERED MY DAD'S 'GASTER BLASTER', FAR BETTER THAN I HAVE," Papyrus admitted.

"don't forget about my shortcuts," Sans called out.

"Wait, hang on, Papyrus, I haven't seen you use Blasters," I noted.

"BECAUSE YOUR DOG STOLE IT!"

"Wait, it was your 'Special Attack'? I haven't found them that hard to use to consider them a special attack."

"Papyrus has struggled to balance the power output," Gaster explained. "Although, there is nothing wrong with his use of Blasters."

"I mean, that's true. But on a different note, I must say, I am surprised you're still calling them 'Gaster Blasters'."

Gaster just sighed.

"It does sound a bit on the nose," Undyne remarked.

"No, it was Chara and her friends at the time that named them," Gaster explained. "You see, Chara always had a love for those word plays, similar to Sans. It's a wonder they were so alike, considering they hadn't met until recently. Although Chara is more sparing with her jokes."