Chapter 19: The Second Encounter

We had finally made our way into Waterfall. Familiar territory. I recognized the blue stone walls, and the quiet sounds of the water flowing in the distance.

Frisk noticed that I was in thought, and tapped me.

"Oh... sorry... I was just getting a little... nostalgic, I guess. I used to live here, you know," I told her.

Frisk nodded. I guess she got the idea.

We approached a small area, one I used to avoid. It was a position for a guard station.

...But now? Now, Sans was in charge of it.

So, his second job was just another sentry...? I thought. Guess I didn't know what I was expecting.

The yellow lizard kid from before in town was there, too, along with a fish-like monster standing on his tail. And he was next to a tale blue flower, which I knew as an Echo Flower.

The monster kid was who we had to pass first, and he said to us, "yo! Are you sneaking out to see her, too?"

"Um... you snuck out?" I asked him.

"Uh... yeah..." he replied, suddenly nervous.

"Sorry I didn't tell you before, but... I may 'look' like a kid, but I'm actually an adult," I told him.

"Oh... so, uh, please don't tell my parents!" he cried.

I laughed softly. "Don't worry, I'm one of the cool adults. I won't tell." And I gave him a mischievous wink."

"Oh, thank goodness!"

"So, you want to see 'her'?" I asked. I think I had an idea of who he was talking about, but I wanted to be sure.

"Yeah! She's the coolest, right!? I wanna be just like her when I grow up..."

"Yeah..." I still wasn't sure about meeting "her" again.

We ended up walking past the fish guy and the flower, and Frisk stopped to look at the flower.

"This is an Echo Flower. It repeats the last thing it heard, over and over..." the fish guy explained.

"Yeah, these things are pretty cool," I told her.

Frisk listened closer, but she didn't need to, as the flower echoed, "Yeah, these things are pretty cool."

Frisk stepped back in surprise, and I laughed. "Neat, huh?"

"Hahaha! Neat, huh?"

Frisk turned to me to sign, I didn't know they were saying things... But I always heard voices here. Are they these things?

I smiled softly, and signed back, most likely. I like these flowers. I used to keep one on my desk. Though it's hard to lie about stuff with one of these around.

Frisk silently snickered, and I snickered as well.

Finally, we were coming by Sans. Frisk began to investigate... something. Maybe another one of those invisible stars. Meanwhile, I waved to Sans, while Toby barked in greeting.

"never trust a flower... that's one of the constants of this world, they say," he said. It was in a joking manner, but I could tell that there was an air of seriousness underneath. After what we were talking about, I didn't blame him. After all, we only talked about an hour ago.

"Yeah, I know," I replied. "Keeping an eyesocket on things."

"yep," he replied, eyes closed, smiling (don't ask me how that worked for a skeleton). "let's hang out again sometime."