Chapter 3: On Our Own

Over the next few minutes, we sat there. Frisk had pulled out a notebook and crayons from her backpack, and began to draw and color. I just stared at Toriel's phone, when I remembered something.

"What a second, I just remembered, I think," I reached into my pocket and pulled... another cell phone. I didn't think it was up to date, but it was much better than Toriel's. "I can't believe I forgot about this. Wingding gave me my own phone." It wasn't quite as big as the one Toriel gave, though it didn't have much in of itself. It was just a simple flip phone. I could make calls, text, or save phone numbers. That was about it.

I looked at Frisk. "So how often do you use this phone?"

She signed back, Toriel calls me, and I listen. But she asks me things, and I can't answer back. She then thinks she got the wrong number and hangs up.

Geez, that's got to be tough. She couldn't even answer her back. Then I asked, "So, did Toriel ever figure out that you can't speak in past timelines?"

Frisk shook her head.

"So this is the first time she figured it out. Well, better late than never." I opened up my phone, and copied Toriel's number into it, then handed Toriel's phone to Frisk. "Let me know if she calls, and asks for anything."

It only took a minute for Toriel to make the first call after that. Frisk answered, and listened, then hung up.

"Um, Frisk... what did she say?" I asked.

She just said we have to wait longer, Frisk signed. About five minutes.

I just sighed and leaned on the pillar. The phone rang again a few minutes later. After Frisk listened in. She told me she called, mentioning something about dogs, and it would take a bit longer. I sighed again, and decided it was best to ignore the calls for now.

I decided to think on what had happened. I was happy that I found Toriel, but she has changed. She was more protective. Outside of the ruins, most of my friends were either deceased, or they have moved on. Well, one in particular, Hapstablook. Even Wingding didn't where she went. But I was going to find her. Nothing would stop me.

But the ones who were gone, permanently... Semi, Wingding's father. Pristina, Wingding's wife and my best friend. The old Captain of the Royal Guard, Girard. Wingding's assistants, especially Lizzie. I'd never see them again.

Apparently, Girard had kids, who were now living in Snowdin. That would be the first town outside the Ruins we would end up passing through, though still a bit far away. But once we got there, I would have to seek them out.

I also heard that Wingding had a son himself. Someone named Papyrus. I never got the chance to ask about to him... Who was he? What was he like?

We got a few more calls from Toriel, nothing Frisk felt the need to tell me about. After about a half an hour of this, I began to get worried.

After about the seventh or eighth call, I finally spoke up. "So, Frisk... That dog Toriel mentioned. What was that about?"

Frisk thought for a moment. The dog took a flower from her.

Okay... I thought.

Then I think the dog... took her phone, she continued signing.

"The dog... took her... phone," I said slowly. "HOW DID THE DOG MAKE THE CALLS THEN?"

Frisk got a startled look in her eyes, and stumbled away. I was confused by this until realized... I just yelled. Maybe I didn't intend to. Definitely not fully directed at Frisk, but still...