Chapter 2: Toriel

I was so happy to see my mom again, after so long. After I ran away, I heard Toriel had disappeared, just like I had. But I never knew where she disappeared to.

Had she been here the whole time? From what I've heard, the Ruins had been locked up, inaccessible from the outside. This could be why, unless something had changed in the two decades I have been gone. She must have been here the whole time, keeping people out. But why?

It didn't matter right now. I was so overcome with joy, I just ran to Toriel, and wrapped my arms around her, and just hugged her as tightly as I could.

"Oh my!" Toriel said, startled.

"I'm happy to see you," I replied, "I thought I'd never see you again."

"Oh, well, I am happy to see you, too," Toriel returned the gesture, then the two of us separated. "Though, I hope you don't mind me asking, but where have we met before? I don't seem to recognize you."

I was shocked to hear this. "Wh-what!? You don't recognize me? I-" Then I stopped and realized something. Wingding told me that after I fell into the CORE, everyone lost their memories of me. ...This would include Toriel. She wouldn't remember that I was her child. I mean, her actual, adopted daughter, not some random kid she felt the need to take care of (even though I wasn't a kid).

My head hung low when I realized this. "I'm sorry. I must've mistaken you for someone else," I lied.

"Oh, sorry," Toriel replied. "Though it is a bit surprising. I wouldn't think a monster like me would remind anyone of a human. ...You are thinking of a human, right?"

"Oh, yes! Yes. Of course. Sorry," I nodded in response. "So, m- miss Toriel, right?" I almost called her mom. It hurt not to, but the last thing I wanted to do was confuse her more.

"Yes, that is my name."

"Yeah, so... I am Chara. And this..." I motioned to Frisk, "is Frisk."

Frisk pointed to me, then signed, she is my mommy!

"Yes, it's good to meet the both of you." Toriel motioned deeper into the Ruins. "Now, please, come this way."

Toriel walked through the next gate, and Frisk followed meekly. I quickly looked around to make sure Flowey wasn't still around, and then followed to catch up with the others.

We approached a large, purple-bricked structure that showed small signs of falling apart, but still stood strong. We were surrounded by three vine-covered walls around a small square courtyard, that was covered in red leaves, with a large pile in between two sets of stairs, which rose up to a balcony spanning the far back wall, where a door opening that was spanned by a pair of windows awaited. I looked up, basking in the shadow of the Ruins that loomed above us.

Toriel was waiting for me to catch up. Once she saw me, she signaled us to keep following, and walked through the doorway. Frisk wasn't paying attention, though, and playing with the leaves.

I approached her, and said, "hey there. Enjoying yourself?"

Frisk turned to me and nodded.

"So, Frisk, did you know about Toriel this whole time?" I was curious because I thought there was no way she would know about Toriel, but if this is where Frisk started, she's probably seen and even met her multiple times.

Frisk nodded, but she seemed a bit worried. She signed, do you like her?

"Well, you see, she adopted me, so that makes her MY mother. But she doesn't remember me anymore, so I... I don't know what to do. I don't want to hurt her."