Chapter 27: Red

Well, this sucked.

Here I was, trying to get away from the Captain of the Royal Guard, and I run into some other monster.

Her red cloak and hood left her face in shadows, but I thought a saw pink hair. The back of the hood curled up at the tip, and there was a red ribbon with a blue gem over a black wrap, holding the cloak in place.

She was just standing there, as if waiting for my first move.

Okay, so what to do?

Well, I didn't want to fight her, so let's try the diplomatic approach.

"Hey," I greeted. "So, funny meeting someone like you out here, huh? My name is Chara, what's yours?"

My opponent seemed stunned. "...Huh? Um, Red."

So, she's not prepared for a friendly chat? Okay, let's keep going in this direction.

But before I could make my next move, I felt the presence of magic. And just in time, as I had to back away to avoid fast projectiles. It seemed as if bolts, like the ones fired from crossbows, were shot out of nowhere.

Magic like that... okay, she's clearly one of the stronger monsters out there. But... how strong? That was just taste. Powerful, but not hard to dodge, yet.

But as the attack finished, I turned back to... Red, was it? She a tugging nervously at her ribbon. Maybe I wouldn't have to find out how strong she was, if I pacify her.

"Okay, okay... You- Uh, how has your day been?" I asked, trying to hide any tension I had.

"H-hey! Knock that off!" Red countered. Then a pair of buzzsaw-like chakram blades appeared from behind her, and I had to slip between them.

Red began to poke something out from below her cloak, drawing shapes in the dirt. She really didn't seem into the battle.

"Hey, maybe we got off on the wrong foot. Why don't we just put away the magic, and sit down and talk," I told her. I even dispelled my fireball, to show that I was not a threat. "I could tell you some stories, about my time down here, some friends I know-"

"Are you listening to me!?" Red shouted back. More crossbow bolts, this time, firing in crosses.

"Hey, hey! I don't want to fight!" I finally admitted. I could tell she was just working herself up, so if I could help her calm down-

Her face dropped further in the shadowed hood, silent for a moment, before looking back up, straight at me. "...What's with you? Just, straight-up, trying to strike up a friendly conversation? In the middle of battle?"

"Well, I kind of don't-"

"Who...? What kind of... ...You know what? No. If you don't WANT to fight..."

Suddenly, Red's cloak opened up as a rapier was pointed right at me! On the outfit beneath, a black dress with tall, white, heeled boots, was the Deltarune emblem.

I also finally got a good look at her face, and... she was wearing a mask? Her pink hair was in a swirl above her face, and I think there were little things poking up under her hood. Ears, perhaps?

"...I'll have to make you," she finished.

She's a member of the Royal Guard, isn't she? I thought. ...And she clearly takes her job seriously.

She readied her blade, and I could feel a great tension. Not the normal tension, but a tension in the air, of magic forming.

I stepped back, as Red swung her sword, and a rush of wind sped through. And in the next second, the ground erupted as a line of cutting magic split us apart, before fading.