Chapter 28: Spear of Justice

"No more running away, then? Fine," I said, with an undertone of displeasure. Red turned to me with a bit of surprise, as I walked right toward her.

"You've run into her already, haven't you," the hooded girl said, as she began to follow.

"You... could say that."

Then, as we were close enough to Undyne, Red stepped in front of me, stopping both of us. "Captain Undyne, can we talk about this-"

"I'm sorry you had to be here... Red... I really am," Undyne told her calmly. "You're dismissed. I can handle the human."

"But-"

"Red! You know what must be done."

Red hung her head.

"It'll be okay," I told her. "Go."

"I-" Red started, before she stopped, and left.

As I put my attention back on Undyne, I could feel my anger begin to boil.

And Undyne put her attention on me.

"Seven," she said. "Seven human Souls, and King Asgore will become a god. Six. That's how many we have collected thus far. Understand?"

"Yeah. You just need one more, right?" I replied.

"Through your seventh and final Soul, this world will be transformed. First, however, as is customary for those who make it this far... I shall tell you the tragic tale of our people. It all started, long ago..."

Silence.

Then... "...No, you know what?" Undyned sounded.

"SCREW IT!" she then shouted. "WHY SHOULD I TELL THAT STORY, WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE!? NGAH!"

Suddenly, I felt a burst of magic, forcing me to look away briefly. When I returned my sights to Undyne, she had removed her helmet. As if she was trying to be dramatic, she turned away from me, before turning her head, her eye glinting as it locked onto me.

As she turned back around, I saw that face I saw back then, before the Reset. She was a humanoid fish, with long red hair pulled into a ponytail, flowing in the wind. There were red fins where a human's ears would be, and eyes with black vertical irises and yellow sclera. Well, eye, as she wore an eye patch over her left eye, while wearing red eye shadow on the other. She also had shark-like yellowed teeth, and no nose.

And she was somehow both angry and smirking.

"I'm the one who's going to die!?" I shouted back, unimpressed. "You think I'm just going to stop and lie down, so you can kill me and take my Soul!? As if!"

"Well, it's you, or the other human!" Undyne countered.

Consider my anger officially boiled over. For the second time I've met her, she wanted to threaten a mere child.

"Actually, both of you deserve to die! You're standing in the way of everybody's hopes and dreams!" Undyne continued. "Alphys's history books made me think humans were cool... With their giant robots and flowery swordswomen."

"What are you even talking about!?" I heard her talk the same nonsense in the previous timeline.

"Don't you know? I suppose not! Do you think can play hero? Saving that kid, just so you can run from me again! Convincing him to stop me? Oh, and let's not forget the wimpy goody-two-shoes-schtick! 'Ooh, I'm making such a difference by hugging random strangers!'"

"'Goody-two-shoes-schtick!?' At least I'm trying to keep everyone from doing something they'd later regret. Like killing children!"

"You know what would be more valuable to everyone? IF YOU WERE DEAD! That's right, human! Your continued existence is a crime! Your life is all that stands between us and our freedom! Right now, I can feel everyone's hearts pounding together! Everyone's been waiting their whole lives for this moment! But we're not nervous at all. When everyone puts their hearts together, they can't lose!"