Chapter 5: Ghost Fight

"Napstablook?"

This ghost monster was laying in the leaf-covered path, blocking our way.

It seemed like he might've been sleeping... snoring, even, but paying closer attention, he just seemed to be repeating "Z" very softly. Then, in between the Zs, I heard him mutter, "Are they gone yet?".

I remember him, Blooky. He was always kind of... down. Not in a really bad way. He just was never really comfortable around people. At least, those he knew. At worst, he didn't have much sense of humor.

Still, I knew him. He was a friend of mine. I was close friends with his cousin, Hapstablook, or Hapi, as I called her. But I often spoke with Blooky from time to time. I even went on a date with him once, but we realized that we were better friends.

Overwhelmed with joy, seeing an old friend again, right after seeing my mom, I just had to reconnect with him.

But... would he remember me?

Well, I might as well try to remind him... I guess. I mean, I couldn't remain forgotten, right?

"Hey, um, Blooky? Napstablook!? Are you awake?" I called out to him.

I heard a groan from him as he rose up and faced us. Then I felt a pull in my chest as our Souls popped out, and we began the battle.

"Well, here comes Napstablook," I muttered.

Frisk seemed a little freaked out, though it didn't seem as bad as before. Maybe she was more comfortable around him. I wasn't sure...

Frisk stepped up, and gave a quick little to me. I gave her a small smile and nodded. She nodded back, and gave Napstablook a patient smile herself.

"heh..." he replied quietly. Following that, he began his attack. He... literally cried to us. His tears stormed us. I was able to dodge them, but Frisk got nicked a few times. Not too damaging, but I could see her wince.

"So, hey, Blooky, I know you're not good with jokes..." I started.

"oh, but i'm REAL funny," he replied.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to... Anyways, do you want to hear a joke?"

He just stayed quiet.

"Well... What is a ghost's favorite ride at a fair?"

"i don't know..."

"They love the roller-ghosters!" I told him.

I wasn't expecting much, but he went, "heh, heh...", while Frisk silently chuckled.

Well, we're making some headway, I thought. This small cheering-up session seemed to improve Napstablook's mood. I've been friends with him for a long time. I knew him well enough to cheer him up.

He went onto his second attack. This time the tears seemed a little... squiggly. I didn't know what this meant, but as we dodged them, I barely noticed they began to come back around on the sides and upfront again. I didn't know he learned a new move, so this caught me off guard, and I got snagged by these. But Frisk seemed to be okay, though I really couldn't pay attention to her.

Frisk shook off this second attack, and then seemed to contemplate her next move. I gave her a nod and signed to her to just make them happy. So Frisk thought about this, and then... gave the ghost a wink.

...For someone who had trouble with getting past monsters without fighting them, now that I tried convincing her to try another method, now she was flirting with them? Okay...

"...oh, i'd just weigh you down." Napstablook shifted around. I expected another attack, but instead, "I'm really not feeling up to it right now. sorry."

"Hey," I spoke up. "You're doing alright, Blooky. You're a great friend. I... missed you."

Napstablook seemed to perk up after I said that, and replied, "can i show you something?"

"Sure!" I replied. Frisk gave a thumbs up.

"let me try..." He started using his tear magic again, but this time, the tears flew up, and began to form on top of his head. Now, Napstablook donned a white top hat. "i call it 'dapper blook'. do you like it...?"

Frisk began clapping at his new look, genuinely enjoying this moment. I simply said, "you're looking good, Blooky!"

"oh gee..." he dropped a few more tears, but these seemed like just regular, genuine tears. "i usually come to the ruins because there's nobody around... but today I met somebody nice... uh..." he seemed to trail off.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"have... have we met before?"

I should've known, of course, the void erased his memory of me. I just put some hope on nothing.

"Sorry, um, well, this is awkward." I didn't know how to get myself out of this one.

Napstablook looked over to Frisk. "actually... i think that maybe, i have seen you before?"

This took me by surprise. Was he just saying this to make me happy? Maybe, but that wasn't like him. He was nice, but very passive with how he interacted with people.

I decided to dig deeper. "So... just curious, but where do you think?"

Napstablook pondered this for a moment. "i remember... i think you hung out a lot with my cousin."

"Yeah, I did," I replied. "Anything else I did?"

"um, there was my cousin, and... i think there was another girl. pristina... that was her name. and then... you, um, i think we, went on date. yeah, that did happen, but we decided to be friends, right... chara?"

I almost burst into tears. "You remember me!" I ran up, and, using my blue magic so I could touch him (otherwise, any physical interaction would pass right through a ghost monster like him), and gave him a big hug. "It's so good to see you, Blooky!"

"oh, i'm sorry I forgot you..."

"It's not your fault. Really. I know it sounds strange but... you know what, I'm just happy that we're still friends even after all this time."

"i'm happy too..." Napstablook looked off to the side. "oh, i'm in your way, aren't i. i guess I'll be going now." And then he disappeared.

Frisk walked up by me. You knew him? she signed.

"Yeah," I replied. "We were friends... before I fell into the Void. I thought no one was supposed to remember me but..." I looked at Frisk. "It was a gamble really, but when he seemed to recognize me... I thought maybe... I could remind him."

So, he didn't forget you? Frisk seemed confused.

"Kind of, I guess, but that's not really it..." I pondered this for a moment, "I think, maybe now that I am back, I can maybe... restore time back to what it was when from before I fell. I could restore their memories."

I took a deep breath. "This good. They don't know me now... but I could restore their memories... I could help them remember me. I could... help mom remember me."

This is when I knew, I could save my mom, in a different sense of the word. "Come on, Frisk, we need to find Toriel."

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Author's Note: Now I've set up that Chara could restore her friend's memories, by reminding them of her. Very simple, not too complicated, or very creative. But it works.

As for the fight itself, I did my best to recreate the actual fight, while giving interactions on Chara's and Frisk's side with proper dialogue. It's a very short battle (at least when I played it for reference). As for that ghost joke... I found it online. Honestly, I'm not THAT clever.