Chapter 31: Dinner and Discussion

Dinner prep hadn't taken too long. I was worried that Undyne would get overexcited and do something she shouldn't, but she managed to stay calm and listen to me.

Papyrus, on the other hand, was pleased to find a better method of making pasta. No aging or whatever he thought was necessary, but boiling water or a good broth to put the pasta, and a well-made sauce is all you really need.

We kept things simple for now, but I offered to show Paps more tricks at a later date, along with more recipes other than spaghetti. If you're going to be a master chef, you should learn all kinds of foods to make, I told him.

We were dishing out "OUR NEW MASTERPIECE", as Papyrus put it. Sans took a bite, and said, "yep, definitely a masterpiece." Not a hint of sarcasm, but of course, he probably didn't have anything else to judge it by.

"Eh, it's nothing special. But it is edible, right?" I snarked.

He didn't respond.

Undyne took a bite, and her expression said it all. "This IS really good. You're definitely a better teacher than I am."

"Thank you. Papyrus, what do you think?"

He took a taste of our creation. "IT IS DIFFERENT... BUT EXCELLENT! I SHALL GLADLY TAKE THIS NEW PATH IN THE CRAFT OF SPAGHETTI!"

The rest of us laugh, glad to see his enthusiasm.

It's tasty, mommy! Frisk signed. Luckily for me, Papyrus was still too enamored with his new direction to notice. But Sans did give me a questioning look, along with a smirk. Great.

"If you like my cooking, then you should try my pies," I stated. "They're my favorite thing to make. I happen to know a family recipe that is simply the best!"

"What's the flavor?" Undyne asked.

"Butterscotch-cinnamon."

"Butterscotch-cinnamon, huh..." Undyne mused. "You know... Asgore tried making that recipe once... it didn't go well."

"oh, he tried making it, too?" Sans asked. "yeah, i tried it, and it's pretty good."

"Wait... it's a family recipe. How'd you know it?" I asked. "I know your dad doesn't know it."

Sans didn't reply, but Undyne noted, "so... if it's a family recipe... I wonder how Asgore came up with it."

"Regardless, it is a good recipe. Perhaps you can make it for us one day," Gaster said. "On that note, I have something to give you." He pulled out a small red book, and handed it to me. "I believe that this is yours. I've been... holding on to it, since you fell. But I've never used it."

I took the little book, and took a look at it. It was my old recipe book.

"Oh... thank you," I said, putting it away.

Looking up at him, I noticed that he seemed to have something on his mind. He was enjoying my food, but wasn't saying much.

"Wingding, what's on your mind?" I asked him.

He took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, but I don't want to ignore what Sans said earlier, about your journey."

"Well, what can we do about it?" I replied. "I don't intend to let another Reset happen, I promise you that. But you know, Frisk's memories helped a bit, but I didn't fully know what was going on. I mostly figured it out on my own. And I can continue to do that. Besides, while I have seen that the Underground has changed since I was... gone, the places are still the same, as well as the faces, for the most part."

"Well, we can still plan," he told me, before taking a quick bite of his food. "Prepare for the journey ahead."

"Well, okay, we need to go through Hotland to get to New Home. From there, we need to get to Asgore's castle," I relayed. "Or, we can take the shortcut through the CORE."