Chapter 10: Who is Who? (The Skeleton Brothers)

Since the Reset, Gaster, known as Wingding to Chara, had sat silently within his room and office, only leaving to make food and sleep. It had been almost two days since the timeline began anew (though in the Underground, time was difficult to discern).

Wingding! She's a child! She doesn't know what to do! All she knows is that... monsters keep attacking her. Maybe she could try to get away, but they keep coming, and after a while... she... snaps, I guess. So, she has to fight back. And they die. She doesn't know what they're thinking. She only knows she must survive!

She doesn't know what she must do to pacify monsters. She's scared, Wingding. She's scared. I know you hate humans, but if you wanted to stop the killing, when killing her only resets time, you should have befriended her. Shown her what to do.

That conversation, what Chara had said, continued to play in his mind. Chara was so mad, and she had left right after, taking Frisk with her. She was right, he realized. He had let his hatred control him.

But what could he have done...?

The short time before the Reset, Gaster had a call with someone who helped him the studying of the Resets. Like him, he could remember the other timelines, and because of this, he could help Gaster watch the kid's actions, study her. And he even communicated with the kid, gave her some tips. But he never guided her, never helped her. Both he and Gaster left her to fend for herself.

They let this happen...

But now Chara planned to handle this, assuming that the Reset didn't remove her from reality again.

"...yeah, i see where you're getting at," the voice on the other end said. "maybe we should've helped her. and you wouldn't be the first to say that."

"I'm not?" Gaster asked.

"yeah, it's a long story. for now, this chara person... she's an old friend of yours, right? you sure she can go back with the kid?"

"Frisk. The child's name is Frisk," Gaster corrected him. "And... I don't know if she can. But she believes that she's here to stay."

"welp, she's got to start somewhere. chara disappeared two decades ago, right? if that's the case, why not start with the kid?"

"I suppose, but we know that they need some time to leave the Ruins."

"yes. i'll keep an eye socket on them, don't worry."

"Thank you," Gaster replied, as he began to notice the world being enveloped in a bright white light. The sign of a Reset. "I'll see you in the next timeline."

Back to the present, so to speak, Gaster was considering what would happen next. Would Chara be okay? Would she have been successful so far? Would Frisk... would she be clean of the dust of slain monsters?

Then, he got a notice on his computer. A camera's motion sensor had been activated. Checking it, he found it was the camera placed at the end of the Ruins.

Gaster had installed this camera system to watch the Underground, helping the Royal Guard keep an eye on any humans, and so he could keep track of anomalies. After he left the position of Royal Scientist, he technically no longer had the authorization to use them, but since he made the system, he simply set up a backdoor account so he could access them.

On the screen, he could see Chara and the child, Frisk, exiting the Ruins. He smiled, happy to see that his old friend had made it through the Reset. Still, he didn't yet know what happened with them in the Ruins. He'd have to wait for a report from his partner in the field, or for Chara to make it back to his home in Waterfall, where she would, hopefully, come to see him. Until then, he could only watch, and rely on his partner.