Chapter 29: Burn it all Down

"Are you sure this is the way back?" I asked.

"The river runs through this area. It's close by," Red replied. "I should be able to get you transport down the river, back to Waterfall proper."

Since the area wasn't familiar to me, Red was taking me to the fastest way back to the greater Waterfall area, so I could find Papyrus and Frisk. I had already called them, and we agreed to meet up by Napstablook's home, then we could try to see Undyne. I just needed to get there.

Red let me know that there was a way that everyone could use the river to traverse the lower Underground, something that I never heard of before. Must've come in sometime after I fell into the Void.

Pretty soon, I could see the river down an incline. Red led me to the water's edge, and I looked around, unsure of what I was looking for.

"So... what next?" I asked.

Red responded by giving a loud whistle.

"Okay, what does that do?"

"Signal them," Red replied, pointing down the river.

Something was approaching us out of the darkness, riding the water. As they appeared in the light, it became clear that it was a hooded figure, riding a boat.

The strange figure floated by us, and as the boat magically stopped in the water, they turned towards the two of us.

"Tra la la. I am the Riverman," the figure told us, in a monotone, cold voice, hard to discern their gender. "Or am I the Riverwoman...?" I felt a chill down my spine when she said next, "it doesn't really matter, does it, Chara?"

I took a double take. Did they... know my name? How? Did I meet them before?

Before I could answer, Red spoke up (apparently missing what they said), "Riverperson, my friend here needs to get back to the Waterfall community."

I turned to Red. "...Um, Red, something's... strange about them."

Red nodded. "Don't be rude, the Riverperson freely gives monster rides across the river, helping them reach different areas of the Underground. If anyone can get you back to Waterfall, it's them."

"Yes, tra la la. Humans, monsters, flowers... And what are you?" the Riverperson asked me.

"I'm... a human," I replied.

"Perhaps," they said, as their cloak shifted open. "But also, you... are a traitor."

Suddenly, their arm shot out, as they summoned a magic weapon. It was a long magic bone, not unlike one of Papryus's, with a large curved blade made up of light-blue magic welded to the top of the bone, making a terrifying-looking scythe, pointed right at me.

"Woah, wait!" I called out.

"Do you remember what you did? Everyone you cared for, abandoned," the Riverperson said.

"What! I-I never abandoned anyone!" I said. But there was a part of me that questioned if that was true. Those friends I couldn't be there for, who were now lost...

"You can't be trusted... beware of the man who speaks in hands, ...and the woman who came from the other world... They'll bring nothing... but pain."

I was beginning to think another fight was coming, and was getting ready to summon my own magic, when Red pulled me back, and stepped forward, sword ready.

"Stand down! I don't know what problems you have with Chara or any other human," she said. "But she is under my protection, Royal Guard Red. You give anyone else the kindness of traversing the lower Underground, so I want you to show her the same. She has somewhere important to be. ...But if you bring harm to her..." And she summoned her sword, pointing it back at the Riverperson.