Chapter 25: Temmie Village

"Hurt, beaten, and fearful for our lives, we surrendered to the humans. Seven of their greatest magicians sealed us underground with a magic spell. Anything can enter through the seal, but only beings with a powerful Soul can leave. There is only one way to reverse this spell. If a huge power, equivalent to seven Human Souls, attacks the barrier... It will be destroyed. But this cursed place has no entrances or exits. There is no way a human could come here. We will remain trapped down here forever."

These old texts never got easier to read.

Seven magicians? Frisk asked.

"Yeah, magicians, like me," I told her. "Though these guys, whoever they were, lived a long time ago. No one would know who exactly they were today." I didn't voice this, but it made me mad. These are the people who trapped the innocent monsters down here. And they were no longer around to take responsibility for what they have done.

And no humans came down here...? Frisk continued.

"...Well, the monsters were obviously wrong. After all, we're here," I replied. "But this is why they need our Souls."

Do... do they have to kill us...?

I gave a solemn nod. "I wish there was another way... But there isn't. But don't worry, you have a strong Soul, so you can leave."

We were descending into the dark marshes of the region. The thin paths were alit with glowing blue grass, along with glowing mushrooms of the same color. Trees with glowing blue leaves dotted the landscape outside the path, poking out from the darkness. But I knew better than to step off the path.

"Frisk, stay on the grassy path here," I warned. "Step into the darkness, and you'll find yourself sinking into the dark swamp."

Frisk nodded in the warning, though it was difficult to see in the dim light.

I lit some flames in my hand to light our way, and we went onwards, carefully walking along the grassy path. It didn't take long before we hit the end seeming end of the path.

Frisk looked confused, and started frantically signing, but I raised my hand to motion for her to stop for a moment. "It's okay," I told her. "Watch."

I tapped a mushroom with my free hand. It was glowing dimly until it met my touch... Then it lit up brighter, and along with it, more grass began to glow, appearing in the darkness.

"See, the mushrooms will guide the way," I relayed.

Frisk nodded in understanding, and one we went, using the mushrooms to show the path forward.

As Frisk touched another mushroom, I encouraged her with, "you're doing great. The next part of the path is coming up."

Frisk smiled in the combined glow of the underground flora and my flame magic. But as we continued on, we saw a familiar... "face". A couple, actually.

A trio of Moldsmals was hopping our way. And boy did Frisk look excited. I guess she remembered our last encounter with a Moldsmal, and wanted to play again.

And so, the battle began.

I noted that each of these Moldsmals was a different color from the one we met in the Ruins, and figured that could mean they were stronger, but for the most part, it was no different than before. The Moldsmal attacked us with simple projectiles either zigzagging, or breaking into a circle of small shots, and then Frisk wiggled her hips again, with her friends joining in.

...Well, all except one.

The third Molsmal, sitting in the back of the battle, not reacting to Frisk. Just attacking, and not moving much beyond that.