Chapter 20: Diving into the Waters

"When four Bridge Seeds align in the water, they will sprout."

After reading that sign, I looked over, and of course, Frisk was already on the case. She was dropping the Seeds into the water, letting them float to the other side, and once all four of the seeds that were present lined up, they bloomed into pink flowers, making a bridge across the water.

And Toby promptly walked onto the first flower, and laid down, trying to take a nap.

"Nice," I told the little girl. "You know the place well?"

Frisk slowly raised her hands, and signed, yeah. This is as far as I went. Undyne is at the end.

I remember, I thought. And I know this place pretty well, too.

Getting Toby up, and crossing the flower bridge, we found ourselves in the next room, where there was more of the same with the Bridge Seeds. It was a bigger room, and the exit was off to the left, around the corner, with water separating it from the main area, and that's where the seeds came in.

But I was looking over to an open way in the right corner... wasn't there a walkway here?

While Frisk started to do her thing, Toby excitedly following her around, I looked over at the waterway.

The platform had broken. But the other side was still intact...

"Frisk, I'll be back in a moment!" I called over to her. Then I engaged Blue Soul mode on myself, and used its gravity-defying abilities to leap over the water, and then kick off the other wall, landing on the platform.

I needed to see it... one more time. I never spent much time here, but I did have some private talks here.

Here was a simple gray bench, and an Echo Flower.

I remembered I once had a talk with Pristina, Gaster's late wife...

Didn't you want to talk to Wingding about something? I remember once asking her.

What!? What are you talking about? she replied in surprise.

Oh, you know...

No, I really don't...

I was talking about her obvious crush on my friend, but that wasn't the talk that got her to finally admit her feelings. That wasn't until a couple chats later. I think Gaster was demonstrating his Gaster Blaster. With some unplanned help from me. Those were good times.

Though I had to wonder... Gaster was rather dense when it came to romantic matters, but was he ever thinking about-

"I just wasn't ready for the responsibility."

I looked up, thinking that maybe Gaster was here. But it was just the Echo Flower.

No one must've been here for a long time, I thought.

I sat down on the bench, looking down. Gaster was here too. Here in Waterfall. I knew I had to see him again. But... would he be willing to listen this time?

As I thought on this, I noticed something. A lone quiche... sitting underneath the bench.

Monster food was made magic, so it would never rot. So it was still good, I knew that. It was partially eaten, but mostly unfinished.

I picked it up and inspected it. It took me a moment to realize...

It was MY quiche. I had made this a long time ago.

But how did it get here? Last I made quiche was... that one party.

I decided to leave it. I just wasn't ready... I supposed. Not ready to look back on everything that happened.