Chapter 8: Home...?

I just stood there awkwardly, as Toriel took in the fact that we were already here.

She then took a deep breath. "Chara, Frisk, how did you two get here? Are you hurt?"

I took a look at the two of us. We were pretty all right, all things considered.

"So... we're fine," I told her, "and as for us finding you, when we found out some dog took your phone, we wanted to look for you."

"Oh... I see. Yes, I understand. I should not have left you alone for so long. It was irresponsible to try to surprise you like this," Toriel explained.

"Surprise us?"

"Err... well, I suppose I cannot hide it any longer."

"Definitely not. But, sorry for leaving before you returned," I sheepishly said.

"Oh, that's all right. I was simply worried about you getting hurt in this unfamiliar place, surrounded by unfamiliar creatures. But you two arrived safe and sound. And you did you say you were an adult, Chara, so I should have figured you could take care of Frisk," Toriel responded.

Well, the 'creatures' aren't unfamiliar, I thought, but at least you recognized me as an adult. So you at least remembered I'm not a kid.

"...But, uh, you two... you didn't get into any trouble with the other monsters, did you?" Toriel asked.

"No..." I answered.

We spared them all! Frisk signed.

Though instead of translating exactly what she said, I said, "we had no problems with them. If something happened, we resolved it."

"I see... Well, as long as you are safe," Toriel said. "Please, come!"

Toriel led us past the black tree, where just beyond it... was a strangely familiar sight. At least, for me.

It was the entrance to what appeared to be a small house, with an open doorway and two windows. More red leaves were gathered outside, and above the doorway, there was a sign, but the words were long since faded. Still, it looked pretty clean and tidy, all things considered.

No way... my mind was running with memories of my past life with Toriel and her family. Happy ones, sad ones...

This place... looked like my old home in the monster capital, when I was a part of the Dreemurrs family.

Well, I could tell it wasn't the same house. Not only was this the Ruins, not the capital of the Underground, this place made from the same purple stones as the rest of the area. That and I haven't seen the inside yet.

Speaking of which, Toriel entered through the door, into the house. Frisk ran to one of the piles of leaves, though this time, she didn't play with them.

She turned to me and signed, it's another star!

"Well, you know what that means," I replied. "Seeing such a cute, tidy house in the Ruins... gives you determination!"

Frisk smiled as she reached out to the unseen star.

We followed Toriel inside, and well...

The home foyer was very similar to the one in the capital, just in a warmer light brown color. There was a doorway to the left, and hallway to the right, and a set of stairs right in front of us (though we would need to go around to the right to get to them, since a railing was in the way). I also saw a small bookcase by the stairway top, a simple potted plant on the opposite side, a few empty photo frames, and an unlit candle on the wall.