Prologue

Marriage is a bonding of two people, a symbol of their undying love for each other manifesting in the most pure, unadulterated fashion which civil society has come to recognize.  This union between two people is seen as an almost holy thing; something which cannot be touched, harmed, or destroyed.  The bond of marriage is a strong one, seeing as it is the only union of two individuals completely driven by the concept of love.  Wedding rings come to physically represent their devotion to each other, yet other, not so visible symbols of love, are often more useful in depicting the relationship of two spouses.  Regardless, the end result is the same: marriage bonds two hopelessly devoted individuals to each other.

This was not the case for myself. 

Just this very morning, I was faced with the reality of my situation.  I spoke those two sacred, gentle words intended for someone of my own choosing, to a man —no, not a man, but a boy— who I have never cared for in my entire life.  Given, my life may not have been that long, spanning just eighteen years thus far, but that makes it all the more depressing.  That I uttered an "I do" at such a young age, to someone I didn't want to say it back... to avoid the reality that we would be married.

My parents at least honored my wishes of having a small wedding, their only condition being that the "small" group constitute only pureblood relatives and some friends, pureblood as well, of course.  His parents were accommodating of this request, too... no surprise there. 

The only downside was that the wedding was much grander, more extravagant than I'd have liked it, but that was no shock to me.  A marriage between a Malfoy and a Vitelli was certainly going to be one of the most expensive weddings of the century, if not more.  I couldn't deny that it was a pretty wedding, no expense was spared.  However, that didn't mean that I had any say in it.  I could have handled everything being picked out for me if I could have at least chosen my own groom.

I remember my mother and Narcissa making all the arrangements the minute this engagement was announced.  

Just a month ago, I was sitting down, desperately trying to avoid the gaze of my then-just-schoolmate Draco Malfoy in his drawing room.  I sat at the chair by the largest window and pretended to read the Daily Prophet while I wished that I would be anywhere but here.

An excited looking Lucius Malfoy barged in, with a rare smile donning his arrogant lips.  My father followed him shortly after and stood next to him with a glint of mischief in his eyes.  It was a look in him that I'd never seen before, but I knew something was up his sleeve, as always. 

He took my hand and led me over to the couch where Draco was sat, many feet away.  Lucius took the opportunity to then stand by my father and begin the formalities.

"As you both know, our families have known and trusted each other for quite some time," Lucius began.  I didn't know where to look; at Draco would be bad enough, but his father with the way this conversation was going, would be worse.   I settled for my father who was focused on his blonde associate.

"There isn't a better companion for a Vitelli to have than a Malfoy," my father interjected, looking directly at me.  His thick Italian accent had always comforted me, but the words he spoke now sent a chill down my spine.  I wanted nothing to do with these people.

"Nor for a Malfoy to have than a Vitelli," Lucius agreed, staring down his son.

"Which is why we've come to an agreement, to ensure the... longevity of both our houses," my father continued.  The smile on his lips turned somewhat mischievous.  "As well as the prosperity regarding finances and other assets you children shouldn't worry yourselves with."

"What kind of agreement?" I interrupted the men who clearly desired to be left in peace to speak freely.  My father gave me something of a warning glare.