VI

A rhythmic knock at the door interrupted my early midday study session.

Damn Advanced History of Magic; I couldn't keep thinking about broom history for another minute or I'd internally combust. I mentally chided myself for even taking the course. Professor Binns was as boring as the day is long, to add to my torment. Having a ghost as a teacher is strange enough as it is, but then putting students to sleep is almost comic.

I slammed my textbook closed and pushed it to the side of my desk as I got up to check who might've been visiting. It couldn't be Daphne; although she regularly forgot the key to our dorm room, I knew she took it with her today. She's started wearing it on a chain around her neck to make sure she can't lose it anymore.

I swung open the door to reveal the familiar face of Cedric Diggory, the boy who I was desperately trying to forget. I was mildly stunned, not expecting him whatsoever.

He was always a handsome boy, but standing at the doorway of my room, along with the added suspense of knowing that I can't have him, made him more irresistible. It almost seemed like the restraints placed on me only made me find him all the more attractive as he stood there with a crooked smile.

Seeing as it was a weekend without classes, he wore comfortable clothes that I remembered well; he'd typically dress like that on his off days. He wore a cream colored cashmere sweater and black slacks, the neutral tones of his clothes accentuating his bright blue eyes and honey-brown highlights of his hair.

His hair looked extra soft; he'd probably washed it this morning. I could tell by how it was parted on the left side, which he always did after it was dried from a shower. Throughout the day, it naturally tousled itself which I used to prefer, but when he was standing in front of me at that doorway, I wanted nothing more than to mess it up myself.

"Morning, y/n," he half-heartedly grinned.

I gave an awkward cough, still processing that he was here.

"Uh, good morning, Cedric," I politely replied, my eyebrows slightly furrowing at his presence. "How'd you... get in here?"

The Slytherin entrance was heavily guarded, and our password was changed fortnightly. I couldn't imagine that the dungeons stone wall would so willingly let in a Hufflepuff, on his own merit.

I had snuck him into my room on a number of occasions, but that was different; I gained rightful entry and he just passed through afterward.

"Oh, right," he chuckled, alleviating some of the tension. "I saw Nott up in the Great Hall and told him I needed to speak with you... he accompanied me to open the entrance. As for your room, I figured it was the same room as last year." A small blush tinted the high points of his chiseled cheeks as he mentioned my room, probably a tad embarrassed for admitting he remembered where it was.

I found solace in knowing that, at least, that means he hasn't forgotten all the things we did together.

"That was... nice of him," I nodded. I dryly coughed again before straightening my posture to make better eye contact with him. He still towered over me, however. "You needed to speak with me?"

He reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope, sealed with an "S" wax stamp. It smelled fresh, like it had been melted and poured just hours ago. The other side of the envelope had my name written across it in somewhat rushed, but still beautiful calligraphy. The ink was slightly splotched at the end of my name, but the prints were fine.

His arm extended over to me, his long, slender fingers momentarily brushing against mine as he handed me the envelope. His hand was warm, like always. Never cold, or unwelcoming, but comfortable and mellow in feeling. I could still feel the tingles of excitement on my fingers from when our skin brushed.