V

Prefect duties were a blur, most nights.

I'd been asked to fill in, here and there, which were oddly enough the nights that I enjoyed the most. Patrolling around the castle with Granger, Abbott, or even Weasley were productive enough that I could be back in my dorm room at a reasonable hour. They all did their job, which I appreciated. Some light conversation, cordial and polite, but it was mostly just getting our necessary work done. I still hadn't been scheduled with Cedric, which I was relieved about.

Patrolling with my assigned partner, however, was torturous for a multitude of reasons.

Draco's mood always seemed to shift at the drop of a hat.

At some points in the night, he would remain completely silent, even ignoring the short conversations that I tried to make or things to discuss as per prefect duties. Other times, he'd be oddly talkative, albeit his typical arrogance or making crude jokes, but talking my ear off, nonetheless. I even snapped at him a few times after he annoyed me so much that I couldn't contain myself any longer.

Even regarding actual duties, he had a terrible attitude as if he couldn't be bothered to write up a slip for detention. He did, however, always make sure to scold the student or yell at them in some capacity, which meant I always had to step in and apologize to the younger year. I couldn't have them running off to bed terrified.

"You could be nicer to these kids, you know," I scoffed, watching one walk away after I'd assigned him a detention for staying out past curfew. "They're just children."

"And you could grow a spine," he rolled his eyes. "They know the rules. I have every right to discipline them as I see fit."

"No, you don't actually. You can't make the rules; just enforce them. And traumatizing eleven-year-olds isn't included in the job description."

"Must you always be so prissy? Live a little, y/n."

"Unlike some people, I actually have respect for this school and its rules, especially my position. I happen to like our prefect group, barring a certain member," I sneered.

He feigned hurt at that comment. "Ouch, getting a bit personal, aren't we?"

He smirked and tucked his hands into his pockets in a smug way as we continued on with our patrol.

"That's actually the opposite of what I'm getting," I rolled my eyes at his malicious comment.

"Oh, please," he scoffed, becoming annoyed again. "We all know the reason why you're so keen to be the perfect group member, anyway."

I turned to look at him, cocking my head as I tried to make sense of his remark. "And why is that?"

"To impress your beloved Diggory, of course," he leered.

At that, I stopped in my tracks and let out a burst of laughter. It was loud and obnoxious at first, enough to be heard from the other end of the corridor. As I saw his expression change from pompous to confused, almost offended that I'd laugh at his proposition, my laughter changed to a lower, more dry laugh that made him seethe. I clutched at my stomach as I suppressed the laugher rising up in my chest again.

Draco stood with his hands on his hips, weight shifted to one side and rolled his tongue on the inside of his cheek in an impatient fashion.

"Care to explain what's so funny?"

Once I regained my composure, I stood up straight to face him properly, still letting out a low chuckle as my breathing returned to normal. He ran a hand through his white hair that somehow slightly tousled itself during our walk.