XI

Cara y/n,

Your presence will be required at our ball this weekend celebrating the anniversary of our family arriving in England.  I have cleared your absence with the Headmaster and a ticket will be waiting at the train station at your earliest convenience.  We expect to see you no later than tomorrow morning.

Tutto il nostro amore,

Mamma + Papá

I groaned and crumpled up the letter, throwing it on the ground in front of me.  I didn't forget that the ball was this weekend (how could I when they make the biggest deal out of it every year?), but I had blissfully failed to remember that I was needed at home.

I used to love this ball when I was younger, but it was simply because I didn't know any better.  It was fun being a child and just prancing around, meeting my cousins if they were there, playing with the children of family friends who came.  When I got older and I was forced to adhere to formal rules, it was much less enjoyable.

I didn't bother packing a bag; there was no need if I was going home.  I simply took a quick break to tell Daphne and Theo where I'd be, along with stopping by the Head Girl and Boy dorms to let them know of my absence.  To my disappointment, Cedric wasn't there and I was forced to tell Granger instead.

After grabbing some food from the kitchens, I headed to the station and boarded the earliest train I could.  It was fairly empty but still had some people; there were always some teachers coming or going for whatever reason.  I noticed a few that I briefly said hello to before trying to find a decent compartment. 

I headed for the compartment that Daphne and I usually shared when we boarded for Hogwarts.  It was the farthest down,  with the intention of not being bothered.  Without thinking, I slid open the door and stepped inside before noticing it was occupied.

"Malfoy?"

"Mm, hello, y/n," he murmured.  How had I not noticed him in here?  More importantly what was he doing here?

"Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt... I was just looking for a place to sit," I awkwardly shifted my weight to one side.

He motioned to the empty seat across from him.  "You could join me.  Might make the ride less quiet."

I looked hesitantly between the door and the empty seat, not knowing if I'd want to entertain the notion of being in his company. 

Draco and I hadn't necessarily resolved our tensions entirely, but being around him was wholly more tolerable since our forced Hogsmeade trip some time ago.  Combined with our patrols, his presence was more familiar.  That wasn't to say I necessarily enjoyed it, but it was increasingly less difficult to be around him.

I decided to swallow my pride and sit with him.  I eased into the seat and looked out the window.  The train was starting; I could feel the vibrations of the engine.

"What brings you away from Hogwarts?"  I mused.

"Same reason as you," he shrugged.  "Your ball."

My eyebrows knitted together in confusion.  "You're coming to the ball?"

"My parents sent me a letter saying I was required to attend.  It's not like it was my choice."

"So they call, you run?"

"You're doing the same, aren't you?"

"It's my family's party," I sunk into my seat, avoiding his gaze.

"Then I suppose it's mine, too."

My eyes shifted to briefly meet his.  They were icy, like usual, but a more subdued gray.  It was almost like he was trying to hint at our arrangement without actually saying the words; it was a physically knowing sentiment which I understood immediately.