IX

"Where are you off to, Vitelli?"

Malfoy rounded the couch of the Slytherin common room where I had been sitting reading a book for an hour or so. However, I had just gotten a note from Granger saying that she needed to see me immediately.

"To see our Head Girl. She has some job for me, I'm assuming." I didn't mind doing patrols at night (especially since Draco had been skipping most of them lately), but every so often she'd ask me to do an odd job for her that randomly came up and she couldn't handle herself.

"I got the same instruction," he mused, holding up a slip of parchment. I tried to get a better look at it, and realized her owl had sent me the same message he held in his hands.

"Terrific," I sarcastically rolled my eyes. "Let's hope Granger has something extra tedious for you to attend to."

"Can you just tell me where the head girl dorm is? I've wasted enough breath on you as it is," he huffed.

"You don't know where it is?" I snorted. "I thought you had the intel on everything in this castle."

"Just point me in its direction and I'll do the rest," he mocked, throwing the parchment message on the couch, frustrated.

I picked up my bag that was resting on the seat next to me and cocked my head in the direction of the door. "Come on, I'm headed over anyway. I'll show you if you don't act like such a prick on the way there."

"I'll do my very best to control myself," he sarcastically replied.

I groaned and made my way out of the common room with Draco trailing behind me. He eventually caught up so we were side by side once we started making our way to the upper levels of the castle.

"The Head Boy and Girl are real lucky they get private dorms, all for just making other people do their own damn work," he huffed.

"Maybe you should've tried for Head Boy then," I snorted. "Get your own dorm far away from the rest of us in civil society."

"Come on, Vitelli. Don't act like you wouldn't love having a room all to yourself. It must get tiresome listening to Greengrass babble on incessantly."

"Daphne happens to be my best friend, actually; I love her company. No doubt you can't say the same, what with your... friend group being not nearly so riveting."

"Don't pretend like you know anything about my personal business, Vitelli."

"You forget that I'm friends with Theo, so yes, I unfortunately do."

"Forget?" he became suddenly a bit more animated, eyes widening and tone rising. "How could I forget when you— never mind. How much farther are these dorms?" he changed the subject, shaking his head.

I wanted to ask about what he was referring to, but I didn't bother. The less I had to interact with Malfoy was better for me.

I ignored his question and simply quickened my pace. After a short while of leading him to the dorms, we stood across from a painting of a young girl holding a basket of fruit.

"Password?" the young girl asked, causing Draco to jump back and let out a quick shriek.

"Merlin! Real children are bad enough, now I have to deal with this?" he ran his hand over his tie, straightening it out after the fright he just had.

I smacked his chest annoyedly and he yielded back, again. "You act like you've never seen a moving portrait before."

"Of course I have. She just... surprised me," he shivered.

"Sorry, honey," I apologized sweetly to the girl in the painting. "My partner here is... difficult. Could we just let the Head Girl know we're here?"

The little girl's eyes narrowed on me for a second, before lighting up happily. "Wait! I remember you! You complimented my dress once, and then my hat another time! Did you forget the password?"