II

It seemed that although he had just walked in, his eyes met mine immediately. 

Those were a pair that I was quickly growing tired of seeing.

By some stroke of luck, this contact was cut short by his friends.  Cronies, actually may be a better term for it.  Not that I would really know, but if he didn't choose to tell Crabbe and Goyle about his marriage then he really must not care much for their friendship.  It's likely he just keeps them around to boost his ego.  I wouldn't be surprised; an ego that big needs constant reassurance.

The two henchmen-like characters pulled him from our mutual gaze and sat him down near the middle of the Slytherin table a sizable distance away from my own group, which I was happy about.  Daphne continued on, telling the other girls we were sat with about her summer lover.  It was actually quite cute, I could tell she must have been crazy for him.  A lovestruck look like that must mean that it was important to her.

After some girly talk which I half-heartedly participated in (since I already heard all about Frenchie earlier), I saw McGonagall usher in the newbies.  The little first years gawked around the room, like we all did when we were that doe-eyed age.  A chatter of excited whispers came from the small children.

It bored me to a great extent having to sit through their house-sorting.  I understood the importance of it, and I had always tried to make the lower years feel welcomed into our house.  Slytherins tend to pride ourselves on a sense of fraternity, which I interpret as trying to help my own housemates.  However, that doesn't make the sorting any less boring.

Name after name was called.  A Gryffindor here, a Ravenclaw there, the all-too-happy Hufflepuffs cheered.  I only bothered to look up from the table when a Slytherin was called, just to make a mental note of their appearance.

Especially since I was a Slytherin prefect this year (like last year, and the year before), I'd probably get stuck having to show the first years their rooms and organize some tours around just so the little ones know where to go and don't get lost.  If we lost house points because a child couldn't find a class, it'd be wildly embarrassing.

When the old Sorting Hat finally finished its assessment (which took much too long— it must be seeking some attention these days after being shoved away all summer), Dumbledore finally allowed for us to eat.  

If there was one upside to attending Hogwarts, it would be the food.  Thank Merlin we had so many elves to prepare meals for us.

I scarfed down my dinner until I felt satiated.  I was done a bit early, with a tinge of a stomachache probably from how quickly I just inhaled all my food.  I held my hand to my abdomen as if that would somehow aid in the digestion process.

"Feeling alright?"  I heard a voice from behind me inquire.

I craned my neck to look behind me and saw the figure of Cedric Diggory with a look of concern casted in his eyes.  At this, I turned around fully so I was facing him.  I mentally groaned but tried to keep my outward composure as neutral as possible.

"Yes, thank you," I quickly dismissed the topic, dropping my hand from my stomach.  Merlin, I've made a fool of myself on the first night back.  And to him, of all people.

"Right," he mused, a smile tugging on his lips.  The smile he gave me didn't match his eyes, however.  It looked more like he was battling some inner turmoil... and I had an inkling as to why.  "I was wondering if you'd mind showing the first year Slytherin girls to their dorms?  I've asked Malfoy to do the same for the boys."

"Malfoy?"  I echoed.  Of course, his father must have bought him the prefect position if I was given the title, as well.

"Is that a problem?"