XXXI

I'd been upset with Draco before. I'd been annoyed with Draco before. I'd been pissed off with Draco before. I'd wanted to punch the daylights out of Draco before.

Not once had I been as overwhelmingly furious with Draco as I was in the art room.

And not once had I ever had such self restraint to not rip him to pieces while he stood in front of me. Dressed in his usual black suit attire, I fought the urge to claw at him until he spilled whatever he needed to say.

He had urged our mothers out of the room finally for some privacy between the two of us. Part of me was glad that they were gone and the peanut gallery couldn't give any input, but another part of me wanted them there. Maybe they could hold me off if I eventually did decide to kill him.

I was sat at the loveseat against the wall, waiting for Draco to come up with some answers.

I sat with my legs and arms crossed, clearly upset and closed off from him. The pale blonde in front of me paced up and down, as if he was formulating a response. He looked distressed, but given how annoyed and ready for a discussion I was, he should have been a hundred times more worried than he was.

"Well?" I finally spoke up. The boy almost jumped back at the harshness of my voice, but just halted in his tracks and looked at me.

He straightened his black tie, loosening it like it was restricting his ventilation. With how red his neck and face were, you might think that it was.

He cleared his throat.

"I, uh... don't know how to tell you what I'm meant to tell you, y/n."

I rolled my eyes. "You have to do better than that."

"Merlin, give me a minute," he stammered. I could practically see the sweat dripping off his features.

"From the sound of it, you've had much longer than a minute."

His eyes widened eerily bright, like he was scared. Considering how anxious I sat there, I was glad he was scared of the situation. He deserved whatever he was feeling.

"What my mother said wasn't exactly correct," he breathed out.

"Then explain yourself."

"Y/n, it's not that simple—"

"Malfoy, I am giving you one chance to explain yourself and I suggest you do so wisely."

His adam's apple bobbed up and down in what I figured was nervousness as he gulped furiously. Part of me wanted to feel bad for him; he looked terrified. The rest and more domineering part of me was glad that he was suffering.

"I understand," he nodded breathlessly. "Where would you... like me to start?"

I feigned pondering for a moment. "Let's start with where your mother seemed to give a time estimate. Does 'years' ago sound familiar to you?"

"She... wasn't completely correct in speaking. She made it sound much worse than it was, I can promise you that."

"But she wasn't completely incorrect," I clarified. His breath hitched, confirming my suspicions. "Now, what did she mean by you've finally gotten what you want?"

"Y/n, maybe we should slow—"

"I'd appreciate it if you referred to me by 'Vitelli' for now."

His eyes seemed to soften, like a wave of emotion hit him. "But... that hasn't been your name for months now. You signed the papers for a name change."

"I know."

He gulped again, realizing what I was implying. I didn't want to be linked to him right now.