XXI

If I thought prefect meetings at the beginning of the year were awkward, it was nothing like the horrors of enduring it after breaking things off with Cedric.

At least at the beginning of the year, I just had Draco that was a nuisance and despite some awkwardness with Cedric, he was mostly at my defense. Now, it was like the complete opposite. I couldn't stand to look at Cedric (which was problematic since he was Head Boy), and Draco was glued to my side the entire time.

As the Slytherin prefects, we were required to sit with each other anyway at the table, but I never remembered Draco being as vigilant as he was now. Every so often when I'd start to zone out, I'd hear him whisper a faint "everything okay?" or "you alright?", sometimes accompanied by gently brushing his fingers against mine to get my attention.

I'd admit that I probably needed the physical contact to break from my hazy mindset most times, but I couldn't ignore the fiery eyes of Cedric on us from across the table whenever it happened, even when he was talking or giving some sort of lecture. When that happened, it always seemed that Hermione swooped in and picked up right where he left off.

Part of me felt guilty, not necessarily for me, but Cedric. Although he didn't know the nature of me and Draco's relationship, the poor guy was forced to endure us sitting together, suddenly cozier than ever, right across from him after I'd told him things wouldn't work out between us. It was no wonder that whenever Draco reached out to touch me or leaned closer to whisper something in my ear, he got distracted.

"It's come to our attention that some of the patrolling partnerships are starting to become a conflict of interest," Granger spoke up, tossing a large piece of parchment in the middle of the table.

I turned my attention to it, which I quickly noticed was the patrol schedule. We'd all memorized which pairs went on what days, so we hadn't needed a physical copy in weeks. Upon further inspection, we saw that everyone's days and partners had been swapped in some way or another.

"What's the matter with the schedule? It was fine the way it was," I spoke up, noticing that everyone was having similar reactions to it. Ron, Padma, and Terry all seemed to be exchanging confused glances as they passed the parchment around.

"Some students have been accusing a couple prefects, not to name any names," Granger glared at Draco and I, "of house loyalties. Unfairly deducting points from rival houses, excessive detentions, but being let off the hook when it's their own housemates."

"That's rubbish," Draco shook his head. "And real subtle, Granger, but I haven't done anything out of sorts. Y/n can attest to that."

"Unfortunately," Cedric interjected in place of Hermione, "Y/n's testimony wouldn't make much of a difference. You two are in the same house so she has as much incentive as you."

Part of me felt offended. Did they think —rather he think— I would stoop so low as to cheating just to win the stupid house cup?

I was nothing like that. Draco, maybe; he was always more apt for house loyalties and squeezing every potential point out for Slytherin, but he wouldn't go so low as to just keep taking points from Gryffindor or another house. More importantly, I wouldn't have let him get away with it. He could have a nasty attitude while tired late at night and patrolling, but that was just his personality.

"So what? We all just switch and mess up everyone's schedule?" I asked.

"Precisely," Granger nodded. "Don't make it seem like we wanted to change, it's a hassle for us all."

"Then let's just keep it the way it was. My partnership was working fine," Draco crossed his arms over his chest.

"Yeah, tell whoever made those complaints to shove off. It's not their place to change prefect positions," I added, looking over at Draco who had his brows tugged together in an annoyed expression. I mimicked it, as well.