XXVII

"Remember to have your essays on my desk no later than Friday morning. I'll have them graded by Monday classes," Slughorn explained to the class.

"Will we be able to calculate our final term grade based on those marks?" Granger spoke up from a table on the other side of the room. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, you may. Also, to those of you doing exceptionally well in this class: this is the final essay before the Christmas holidays and if you have a current Outstanding mark in the class, you'll be excused from the final."

A few whispers could be heard from around the class at the possibility of skipping the final; that would be so nice to not worry about studying. Where was my grade? I think the last time I calculated it, I had somewhere between an Outstanding or Exceeds Expectations.

"That's rubbish!" Theo yelped from the table I sat at. "Why do you need an Outstanding—"

"Oh, Mr. Nott, maybe this'll encourage you to work a bit harder next term after the break," Slughorn peered over at him, making Theo slump in his seat like a child. He huffed audibly.

I snorted with a laugh, causing Theo to glare at me. "Sorry, Theo. I'm sure most people will be taking the final anyway, it's unlikely anyone except for Granger actually has an Outstanding."

"And Draco, lucky bastard," Theo slumped further down, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Shh, no need to put me in the same category as Granger," Draco shivered next to me before smirking. "But for your information, yes, I happen to be something of a potions master."

"And something of a pompous asshole," Theo added, making me laugh.

"Says the one who's barely passing this class," Draco rolled his eyes.

"I happen to be on the cusp of an Outstanding and Exceeds Expectations, thank you very much," Theo retorted. "I'm just annoyed I'm, like, one percent away from skipping the final."

"Your paper better be excellent, then," I looked over at him.

"At least we have a break after..." Theo sighed, before sitting up straight again, suddenly engaged again. "Hey, speaking of, what are you two doing for Christmas?"

Draco and I exchanged glances, both of us knowing but not wanting to be the first to speak up.

His attitude had been slightly warmer, but still the same for a while now. I was quite fed up with being treated like a secret, even though I suppose that I was the one at first who wanted everything hushed up. He wouldn't even touch me when someone else was around, but in private acted like he was entitled to all of my attention and touch for however long we were together. It sometimes made me not want to interact with him when we were together, just out of annoyance.

"Well," Draco cleared his throat. "We're, uh, hosting that Christmas Eve party."

"It's at my family's home, though," I made sure to make clear.

"Now it's kind of both— I mean, yeah, it's at y/n's," Draco looked down.

"Right," Theo nodded. "I forgot I'm meant to be there. At least my break won't be totally boring then."

"Excuse me, Mr. Nott, am I interrupting your social planning?" Slughorn asked, walking over to our table. Theo went red in the face, making me chuckle.

"Just discussing the essay, sir," he put on a fake smile.

Slughorn rolled his eyes. "Mm, yes, and the holiday break, no doubt. Focus on your studies, young Nott, and you'd have an Outstanding to skip the final."