XXII

"Shit. Your life is more complicated than I thought... and I didn't think it could get any worse."

I rolled my eyes at Daphne's words, her then sipping her drink across from me at the Three Broomsticks.

Since I'd unfortunately (and unintentionally) been neglecting her and I could tell in her personality that she was getting irritated with me, I promised her we'd head to Hogsmeade for a girls' day. Currently, the two of us were taking a break from devouring some snacks I'd bought for us to catch up on our lives. Admittedly, she did seem a bit tense at first, but noticeably loosened up throughout the course of our discussion.

"You thought being in an arranged marriage was a piece of cake?"

"Not when you were forced to break up with the person you actually loved," I huffed.

"Loved," she echoed.

"Huh?"

"You're speaking in past tense."

A small smile crept its way onto her lips, and when I finally understood her insinuation, I felt my cheeks become red with a blush. Luckily we were alone, nobody else from Hogwarts was in the shop. Otherwise, I'd be terrified of anyone overhearing our conversation.

"I have to, we broke up after all."

"I think you're suddenly referring to him in past tense because you've got someone else you're hopelessly crushing on," she giggled, clearly just trying to embarrass me further.

"Daph! It's nothing like that. And don't call it a crush; that's so juvenile."

"Juvenile when you're already married to him? Yes, I agree."

"I didn't say that I'm crushing on him, nothing of the sort, get it right," I rolled my eyes.

"Right, because daydreaming about a boy who's been nothing but good to you for weeks upon months so much so that you're praying he'll kiss you isn't—"

"Can you shut up? God, I'm regretting even telling you now," I choked out, partially true but also with a hint of a laugh, as I knew she was only doing this to irritate me.

That was confirmed by the giant smile she now was donning, grinning ear to ear and laughing at how embarrassed I was.

"Come on! If I told you I was having these thoughts about someone else, you'd be doing the same. Remember when I had a crush on Adrian Pucey fourth and fifth year? You wouldn't let me live it down."

I wanted to be more annoyed, but laughed as well once I remembered how I tortured her endlessly over it. Teasing her, trying to set them up, even convincing Theo to somehow make them "bump" into each other.

"I suppose. But like I said, I'm not... obsessing over the guy, I just felt like he could have kissed me there."

"Could have? Or should have?" she raised an eyebrow.

"Daphne!" I chuckled, throwing the crumbs of a cookie I just ate at her, which she giggled as she tried to shield herself from.

After her fits of laughter died down a bit, she looked at me. Not necessarily in a serious way, but the joking for her was mostly over, I could tell.

"Maybe this whole thing doesn't have to be as complicated as it seems. This could be an... opportunity?"

I narrowed my eyes, a bit confused at what she was referencing.

"I'm just saying, y/n. You deserve to be happy. Especially if you're with this guy for life; it's not worth feeling miserable over forever."

"I could always divorce him," I shrugged.